‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

My Own Worst Enemy

"Edwin, no," I demanded in a shaky voice. My wrist was in pain, I felt like I was going to vomit, my head was spinning, so no way in Hell could I win a fight with him.

"Jade, I'm not going to let you die on me," he told me, standing up. Edwin reached for my wrist yet again, but I jumped out of the bed, running to the other side of the room, holding onto the wall to keep me up. "I'm trying to help you!"

"Stay right there," I warned quietly. I inhaled deeply, readying my lungs for the scream I was about to make that would make my own ears bleed. As soon as his heel was off the ground I wailed like a banshee. He tackled me to the ground and I cringed against the pain as I collided with the tile floor. I just kept screaming like I was insane.

Edwin just kept biting himself, making himself bleed all over, trying to get just one drop into my mouth. I tried to get him off, but I knew I was going to pass out. I felt him get lifted off of me and I was on my feet, still crying and yelling. Someone hugged me gently, brushing my hair. I shivered against the cold touch, but let my fit of agony end.

"It's ok, Jade," my best friend promised me.

"No," I sobbed in her arms. "Am I going to die?"

I didn't get an answer, so I opened my eyes, steadying myself beside Quinn. I looked at Edwin who was getting reprimanded by his father. Edwin looked back at me. He looked so exhausted; so weary. I frowned, not liking what I'd done to him. His face fell as he turned back to his father.

"Are you trying to kill her?!" he was screaming. Edwin shook his head sullenly. "That's what you almost did! She's more human now than she is a vampire! You were about to poison the poor girl!"

"I don't understand. Edwin bit me," I piped up, trying to defend Edwin. Clarence shook his head.

"You haven't exactly been partaking in vampire things, have you? You haven't had a drop of blood, you still sleep, your scars don't heal quickly, and the littlest thing causes you so much pain. Tell me, does any of that make you a vampire? I'm sorry to tell you this, but your body is rejecting vampirism, so if you don't step up, you're going to lose this life. That means no more Edwin and no more being here on Earth."

I would have fallen to the floor if Quinn hadn't held me up. Edwin was by me in a second, taking my body into his hands. I wanted to cry.

"Baby, if you would rather die than this," he took a deep breath. "I'll let you go. If it'll make you happy."

"You're an idiot," I mumbled, clutching his shirt as I tried to stay conscious. I looked to Clarence and smiled, or tried to. "Do your worst."

If no bloodsucking meant no Edwin, then I guess I had to build a bridge and get over it, so as they say...

"Someone get me my power tools!" I yelled out, delirious.