‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Closer

Edwin led me into the house, refusing to let go of my hand as if doing so would make me disappear. As soon as I kicked the door shut behind me, Jayden was in my face, his eyes filled with some kind of worry. Whether it was for my health or for fear of his living arrangement being changed, I couldn't tell. He grabbed my free hand and tore me from Edwin who growled at him low and quick, but Jayden ignored him and made me sit next to him on the couch, facing him with my hands in his as he stared intensely into my eyes.

"Are you okay?" he whispered, choking on air it seemed.

"Yeah," I breathed, hypnotized by his sincerity.

"Good. I was worried about you." He pulled me quickly towards him and into a tight hug. I obliged, under some kind of spell I'm sure.

"Jayden!" Edwin hissed. I looked at him and froze. He looked absolutely menacing. I pulled away immediately and Jayden stood up, laughing lightly as he dared to look Edwin in the eyes.

"I'll be good, Eds," Jayden told him. "I promise." He smacked Edwin's shoulder playfully before turning to me. "I'll see you later." He winked before stalking out the door.

"Eddy," I stated, trying to calm him down. I could almost see a Hellish fire blazing in his eyes. "Honey?" He didn't move a muscle, so I walked to him slowly. I had barely made it to him before he pulled me into an embrace, kissing me urgently. He was done before I could respond. He just held my head to his chest, stroking my hair softly and kissing wherever he pleased.

"Ed--" I tried to say, but he stopped me, making me look into his eyes. They looked so sad and tired.

"Jade, you're not going to leave me, are you? For Gage? For Jayden?" His voice was soft, but the accusation stung. I glared at him.

"How can you ask that?" I demanded, hurt. "I fucking love you."

"Right." He let go of me slowly. "I'm sorry." He left me just like that. No good bye. No I love you, too. No anything.

It made me wonder if he liked sweet, sweet revenge. I had dumped him once, so would he do the same to me just to get even? I shirked the thought off. He did love me after all.

Or at least I hoped so...