‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Miss Independent

I sat up in the bedroom, alone. I wasn't sure where Edwin had gone, but he obviously wasn't with me! He was probably venting somewhere or something. I heard Nathaniel's door open and soon after that Quinn was perched at the foot of my bed.

"Hey," she greeted, smiling. "Missed you!"

"Yeah," I laughed, smiling despite how crummy I felt.

"So...Wanna do something?"

I nodded. "But have you seen Edwin?"

"He's talking to Nathan. About you," she winked. "So how long have you two know each other?"

"Uh, probably around like three years or so. Why?"

"No reason. Things are getting a bit serious then, huh?"

"I guess, but--"

The door opened suddenly and Quinn smirked, waving to Edwin before leaving as quick as she could. She ignored me as I yelled for her to come back. Edwin said nothing as he walked swiftly to me, pulling me into his arms, his eyes unusually soft and warm.

"Babe?" I stared at him, confused. I wasn't sure what was going on!

"Yes, my love?" he whispered softly, his voice sweet as candy. I was so out of it!

"What's going on?" I demanded. "You're acting so...weird!"

"Ugh!" he exclaimed, tearing himself from you. "You are impossible!"

I smiled. "Yes. But that's not the point here! What are you doing?!"

"Maybe I was just trying to be fucking nice!" he yelled.

"I'm not used to you being nice!" I argued.

"I love you!"

"I love you, too!" I screamed on back.

"Marry me!" he yelled at me.

"What?" I asked, whispering. He smiled, getting on his knee in one graceful movement.

"I hope you don't mind, but I stole that ring back. I hope you'll take it."

I couldn't really speak. All I could do was nod furiously, helping him up so I could hug him. I couldn't say a thing before the door bust open.

"You said yes, right?!" Quinn screamed, taking Edwin's place in my arms. "You're dead if you didn't!"

"Eavesdropper!" I laughed. She squealed like she had never squealed before!

"Yay! But, Edwin, I'm afraid I must borrow your fiancée for tonight as we have made plans. Come now, love!" She dragged me out the door. Edwin stared wide eyed until I could no longer see him.

"Bye, baby!" I yelled as I was dragged behind my best friend. I'd waited so long for this...