‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Saying Sorry

Once again I was scurrying out that door like a busy squirrel. How cute, but this was not the time! I was protesting at the scene those idiots were causing as I followed them out the door. They walked calmly and quietly. Okay, Gage had to know Edwin wasn't human! Especially after that last encounter a year ago...

But obviously Gage was a moron!

"Gage, you're being stupid again!" I yelled at him as soon as the door closed behind me. He was always being stupid. That's why we got along so great!!

"Jade, I am not. This is completely necessary."

"But Edwin will slaughter you!!!" I screamed, flailing everything that was able to flail. If that didn't make him understand, he was brain dead.

"Jade, you have a strange sense of humor." He thought it was a joke? Oh my goodness!! This was no time for funny saying and clever puns! This was the time to run like hell!

Ha, pansy. Yes, I still remembered that day I screamed pansy at him. The good old days...

"I'd listen to her if I were you. I will murder you, Gage. And it won't be painless like all the rest. The only one that got away was Jade herself. The rest of the people who looked at me are in a ditch somewhere. Do you really want to join them?" Edwin asked him, cocking his head to the side lightly. He seemed cheery today.

"Edwin, please. Don't!" I cried. He looked at me, his body going rigid.

"Normally, the voice of an angel would stop me, but now...we're nothing, as I recall. Correct?"

"Yes, but--"

"That's all that matters, Jade dear. That's all I needed and I have it. And now, I'm feeling quite parched. If you'll excuse me, your little friend and I have business to attend to." Ed turned his back to me and I wanted to cry I was so frustrated with him. Why was he acting up?!

"Please. Not him!" I pleaded to him, appealing to his soft side he had for me. That is, if he still had it.

"He's an obstacle. He's standing between us."

"So you're going to kill all my boyfriends? Edwin, we can't be anything! You know why I turned you down? You're a vampire and I'm human! We can't be anything of a romance!" I blurted. I had never told him and now I was so free about it. I was that sure of myself then. All of a sudden Gage was pushed into the alley and Edwin was in front of me, pushing me to a wall. I gasped rather moronically.

"That's why you left me alone? After I fell in love with you, and you come up with that?" he asked, yelling in my face. Then softly, seductively, he added, "We can change that. Right now." He pressed against me more and I shook my head furiously. I shivered as he nipped my neck, knowing what was ahead for me if he chose to bite down.

"No! Edwin, I don't want to be immortal! I want to die someday! I want to know that I can die!" He froze and eased up on the body weight thing. He looked at me like I was an alien.

"You want to die someday? Instead of being with me forever, you want to die alone?" he asked, truly shocked.

"Yes," I told him, tears threatening to fall off my eyelids.

"Jade...If you were with me, you would love life. I swear, you would," he muttered against my forehead, kissing it. I wanted to believe him, I did.

"Edwin! God dammit, back off!" Gage yelled, finally submerging from the alley.

"I love you," he whispered, pressing his lips to mine. He left, leaving me dazed like I had been so often a year and six months ago...

He walked to Gage and I heard a thud as he slammed against a brick wall.

"I warned you," Edwin hissed from the back of his throat.

"Edwin, no!"