‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Here (in Your Arms)

I always thought I would die by getting run over, but not by plummeting to my death! Honestly, no one ever can predict how they’ll die. But what crummy timing. I mean, I’d finally gotten the guy of my dreams and now I have to die? Life sucks.

You know how your life is supposed to flash before your eyes when you’re dying? Well Edwin must be my life because he was what was on my mind. All I wanted was to tell Edwin I loved him once more. I just wanted to be able to say good-bye. And Quinn is going to feel terrible for pretty much killing me. I hated to think of what Edwin would do to her when she told him that I was dead.

And I hated to think what Edwin would do without me. Not to sound like I’m all that, but he would probably kill himself! And no matter how much I will miss him, I don’t ever want him to die. Never.

I know what you’re thinking, “How long can it take for a girl to hit the ground?” Well, even though I was falling really fast, my mind was racing as I tried to think my last thoughts. I actually passed out before I hit the ground. And that’s probably a good thing...

“Oh my God, I think I’m going to throw up!” I screamed, jumping up and darting to the nearest bathroom. Honestly, the feeling of falling had finally had caught up with me and I was getting sick like there was no tomorrow! But wait a minute... “I’m alive!” I screamed, running out of the bathroom. I was immediately pulling into a strong pair of arms.

“Don’t ever do that again, Jade! Do you hear me?!” Edwin screamed, holding me as close as he could. It was a bit too tight of a hold!

“What happened?” I asked, voice cracking because of Edwin’s bear hug.

“Well, Jayden...saved you. I would have! He just got there before me!” he added quickly, obviously not liking the fact that I owed my life to his nemesis or something.

“Then shouldn’t you thank him?” I asked, kissing him softly.

“I did,” he muttered. “And he acted all high and mighty as though it were no big deal! The nerve of some people, I swear.” I rolled my eyes.

“Tell me about it,” I muttered. I pulled myself out of his arms and looked around. “Where are we?”

“My parents’ house.”

And sure enough there was Edwin’s mom and dad standing there, waiting patiently. I glanced at them and back to Edwin. He looked paler than he normally did.

“You shouldn’t be so worried,” I pleaded, smiling lightly. “I’m fine now.”

“I could have lost you! Jade, you’re the love of my existence and I just got you back! I can’t lose you again. I can’t lose my fiancée a day after I get her. I would have killed myself, you know?” He kissed me urgently.

“Yeah,” I murmured, not liking the thought. I held him tightly before looking at my new father- and mother-in-law. “Hi, mom! Hi, dad!” I yelled absurdly, trying to lighten the mood.

“Are you alright?” Clarence asked, stepping up with Melinda holding his hand so tightly. I nodded.

“Yes, I’m fine.”

“Okay, so I can do this—” he and his wife stepped forward and, shoving Edwin out of the way, pulling me into a tight hug. “Welcome to the family!”

“Pain!” I cried, gasping for air. “The breaths—they don’t come!” I yelled. They stepped back awkwardly. Edwin grabbed my hand.

“I know how to celebrate you being okay. Mom, dad; you might want to leave the room,” he told them, smirking.

“Going!” Melinda yelled, ushering her husband out the door. Edwin stepped up to me, taking me softly into his arms.

“Jade, I was thinking that maybe we could try to have a baby.”