‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Friends and Alibis

I was sitting on the bed waiting for Edwin to get home so we could no doubt fuck yet again. Quinn was probably out ruining my chances of staying thin and not a mom and Nathan was probably helping her since he loved her and I knew he did. And as for Jayden...

Well, I hadn’t seen much of him since that last ordeal. I passed by him in the hall every now and then, but I was always with Edwin who made sure he couldn’t see me and I could barely see him. It was getting a bit ridiculous to tell the truth. But if it made Eddie happy then I’d have to do it. I didn’t have the effort it took to disagree with him anymore anyway.

“Jade, I heard Edwin’s trying to knock you up.” Speak of the Devil. Jayden barged in.

“He told you about that?” I muttered, sighing.

“He won’t shut up about it!” he yelled, throwing his hands in the air. “It’s annoying! He’s always saying ‘Oh, Jade’s going to have a family with me and we’re in love and you can’t have her!’ Every day he comes to me to brag about ‘Yeah, we fucked again.’ I swear it’s not worth being here anymore! Oh and I haven’t had the chance to tell you that I’m sorry about that whole situation a few weeks ago. I didn’t mean to do that. I was wasted, I swear.”

He actually sounded sincere! I smiled for the first time since...ever! Well, since Edwin got baby fever. I stood up and threw my arms around him, sobbing.

“Thanks,” I wept, crying and feeling like a moron.

“Jade, why are you crying? Hormones?” He eventually hugged back. He held me a bit too tight, but I didn’t care. I felt more safe in his arms than in Edwin’s.

“No, I just can’t stand this whole baby thing. I don’t want one,” I admitted, letting go of him. He led me to the bed and we sat down.

“Tell him that.”

“No!” I cried. “You can’t either! It makes him so happy and what right do I have to take that away from him?”

“But you’re miserable! If he truly loved you, wouldn’t he care about you being happy?”

That stung. It really did. But it only hurt so much because it was so true. I dropped my gaze and looked down.

“He does love me,” I whispered, blinking against the tears that threatened to fall.

“Who are you trying to convince of that?” he asked, shaking his head. “I miss the old Jade. When she comes back, tell me, okay?”

And he walked out on me just like that. But I’m not so sure it was all because I wasn’t being a sack of fun. No, it couldn’t be. Edwin had walked in just a minute later and started kissing me feverishly.

“I missed you, baby,” he mumbled, kissing my forehead.

“You were gone for two minutes,” I told him, giggling.

“Didn’t you miss me?” I felt bad instantly.

“Of course I did,” I told him softly, kissing him softly.

“Quinn told me a few tips earlier, Jade. So I think we’ll have our family in no time, okay?”

I forced a smile. He looked so happy...

“There’s nothing I want more than that, honey.”

He smiled and kissed me softly.

“So I was thinking we haven’t gotten out of the house for awhile. What do you think about going out on, well, a date?”

“Okay, I’ll get dressed.”

I actually wanted that. Maybe he’d turn into my Edwin again...