‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Cellar Door

I sat in front of the mirror, staring at my reflection. I'd certainly come a long way since I'd met Edwin. I almost looked just as gorgeous as he did so many nights ago. I smiled lightly and looked at my engagement ring as it sparkled in the light. It fit so perfectly on my finger...

"It cost me a fortune, too."

I jumped up and arms immediately wrapped around me. I glanced up at Edwin and saw him smiling so sweetly. It was the smile that I had fallen in love with. I grinned and buried my face in his chest as I turned bright red.

"You look absolutely beautiful," he murmured, stroking my hair. "I love you so much."

"I love you, too," I whispered softly.

We probably stood like that for ten minutes, not saying another word for fear of ruining the moment, but Edwin eventually kissed my forehead and led me out the front door. We took his silver Mercedes. I was absolutely stunned when we pulled into the parking lot.

"Oh my God! Le Pichet? French food?" I hadn't been there in forever!

"Surprise," he smiled. "I know more than you think, mademoiselle. I read the reviews and this seemed to be a pretty popular French restaurant in Seattle."

"Oh la la, monsieur! Tu es stupéfiant!" I threw my arms around him, kissing him deeply.

"Je sais, mon amour," he whispered, helping me out. "I only hope this night is good enough for you. You only deserve the best, Jade."

"You're too good for me," I giggled, grabbing his hand as we walked. How sweet he was almost made me forget about the whole baby thing. Almost, but not quite.

We were seated and I really wasn't too hungry. I had no idea why Edwin had wanted to come eat food since we don't eat human food. I had loved eating there when I was a human, but those days were gone now.

A waiter came and Edwin muttered some words to him and he nodded, leaving immediately.

"Jade, vampires are everywhere and I happen to know the owner of this restaurant. He's a vampire, love. So don't question my motives behind bringing you here because we're having... 'wine'."

Yeah, the idea still didn't sit too well with my stomach, but I'd done it plenty of times before, so I was getting more used to drinking someone's red, sticky, nasty life-juice! It was okay actually.

"So what made you decide you wanted to do this?"

"We really need to talk, Jade. I think things aren't so smooth between us now and I hate it. Quinn came to me earlier offering advice on baby crap, but it seems to be driving us apart. I want a baby, but not if it costs me your love. Alright?"

And everything was getting normal again! We drank our nasty "wine" and left. It didn't last so long, but I finally had my Edwin back! I clung to him as if the world was falling down around us. I was in love with him again and I had forgotten how it felt.

He's the "fo" to my "shizzle" after all!

We drove home in silence and were heading upstairs when I heard crying. I stopped dead in my tracks and turned to Edwin who was staring at something in the living room. I followed his gaze and saw Jayden sitting on the couch with a little toddler on his lap!

"Jayden, what's going on?" Edwin asked slowly. Jayden looked at him and grinned absurdly.

"Uh about that..."
♠ ♠ ♠
Mademoiselle: French equivalent of Miss
Monsieur: French equivalent of Mister
Oh la la: Oh!
Tu es stupéfiant: You are amazing
Je sais, mon amour: I know, my love