‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Times Like These

“Jade!” The little girl turned around with a contagious smile and her gorgeous emerald eyes were shining so brightly. I immediately recognized the high pitched voice and her adorable blond curls.

“Monique!” I squealed, pulling myself free from Edwin to go snatch her from Jayden. I twirled her around in the air before setting her down and taking her hand in mine. “Why were you crying, honey?”

She pointed at Jayden, scrunching up her adorable face.

“He’s being mean to me! He wouldn’t play with me and he just sat there doing nothing all day!” she pouted, squeezing my hand. “But Mommy’s home now so she’ll play with me, right?” I found myself grinning like a madwoman.

“Of course I will!” I scooped her up into my arms and walked over to Edwin with her. Edwin smiled before looked to Jayden with a confused look on his face.

“Why is Monique here, might I ask?” he asked sternly, tapping his foot impatiently. I don’t know about him, but I was happy she was here!

“Well, I kinda was visiting her sister because we’re friends and all and she was telling me about this date she had. She said her dad was going out, so Monique would be alone. Long story short, I got roped into watching after her little sister! And it all happened so fast! But since Jade and her have such a cute bond, I think you can watch her.”

“Jade and I were going to—” I interrupted him.

“We’re watching Monique!” I told him, giving him “the look”.

“Le gasp!” he mocked, smirking. “Alright, we’re watching her. What do you want to do Manny?”

She shook her head vigorously and buried her tiny face in my shoulder, holding onto me with her even tinier hands.

“No! Just Mommy! Daddy can find something else to do!”

I smirked at him and he looked stunned.

“Oh, relax, love. We can have play time later,” I winked, laughing. I hugged him softly and Monique kissed his cheek before I sat her down to kiss him deeply. He wrapped his arms around my back and pulled me closer.

“Mommy!” the little girl whined, tugging on my dress. “I want to play! You were gone with Daddy all night!” I pulled myself from my fiancé and grabbed her hand.

“Alright, little girl. What does Manny want to do?”

And I was actually looking forward to it, too. Monique was just the cutest little thing!