‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

Let You Down

Edwin had gone out to buy more pregnancy tests, so I was sitting at home with Manny. Quinn and Nathan were out on a date, so I was all alone. Manny was telling me how pretty our baby boy would be.

“How do you know it’s going to be a boy?” I asked, smiling.

“I just have a feeling. Then me and him can play together!” she squealed in delight. I opened my mouth to speak, but there was a knocking on the door.

“Hey, Jade,” Jayden called. “Manny needs to go home.”

“I don’t want to go!” she whined.

“Here, how about I help Jayden take you home?” I asked, smiling. She nodded excitedly and I grinned, picking her up and carrying her out the door. “I’m coming, too.”

“Are you sure Edwin would like that?” Jayden asked, an eyebrow raised. I shrugged.

“He won’t mind. We might even get back before he does. So let’s just go.”

The ride would’ve been awkward if Manny hadn’t been making me play “I Spy” the whole time. She always seemed to pick something on Jayden for some reason and it made me giggle when he got so flustered at my screaming random things about him.

“His unzipped pants?!” I screamed.

“What?!” he yelled, checking. “Stop that! My pants are entirely zipped!”

“You’re right!” Manny cried, giggling. “Aww...” I looked out the window and saw her house.

“It’s okay, Monique. You can come over again sometime, alright? It’d be so boring without you!”

She grinned and nodded.

“Okay!” She hopped up and darted to her house. “Don’t forget, Mommy!” I smiled and waved as we pulled out of the driveway.

“Honestly that kid is way too energetic for me,” Jayden muttered, glancing over at me. I smiled.

“Oh, but I’m hyper too!”

“Yes, but you’re also damn sexy,” he purred. I rolled my eyes.

“Stop right now,” I warned. “Edwin wouldn’t like this.”

“He wouldn’t like that you demanded to go with me, now would he?” he asked, grinning. I wanted to smack him, but the car stopped all of a sudden.

“Where are we?”

“I don’t know. I don’t care,” he told me, turning off the car. I glared at him, but all of a sudden he pounced on me and was pressing himself on me. I screamed at him, but he crushed his lips to mine. I growled and tried to punch him, but he caught my arm and pinned it to my side.

“What are you doing?!” As if I didn’t know.

“Doing what I’ve wanted to do since I laid my eyes on you,” he whispered on my neck.

“Get off!” I yelled, squirming.

“Quit moving!” My hand inched to the door and I pushed it open. I fell out, but I took off running. I had no idea where I was, but I didn’t care—I just wanted to get away from him. I wanted to call Edwin, but I had left my phone at home! And even if I had my phone, I would get yelled at if Eddy found out I’d broken his one rule: no Jayden. I was near crying when I saw someone getting in the car. I started screaming and flailing and the man looked at me.

“What the hell?” he asked out loud, staring. I didn’t know where Jayden was, but I wasn’t taking my chances.

“Please, sir, can you take me home?” I begged, tears streaming down my face. He stared, but nodded.

“Of course. Where do you live?”

Oh, God. Please don’t let Edwin find out about this...