‹ Prequel: Where's the Heart?

Love is a Two Way Street

The World is Black

I never thought a test would make me so happy. I didn’t know where Edwin was, but I did know that he was going to be as happy as I was when I told him we were having a baby! I skipped down the hall to Nathan’s door. Edwin was going to be so excited! I rubbed my tummy lightly, smiling. I wonder if he’d look just like his daddy. I hoped so.

I knocked on the door and Quinn answered.

“Have you seen Edwin?” I asked, trying to conceal my excitement. I didn’t want Quinn to know just yet. Nathan walked up behind her, pulling her to him and kissing her neck. I held my stomach, thinking, “Baby, cover your eyes!”

“He was downstairs talking to Jayden the last I saw.” My face fell. Oh, that wasn’t good at all! “Is something wrong?” I shook my head furiously before taking off. I had to talk to Edwin before Jayden told him I went against his word. He’d be mad, but I was sure the thought of being a daddy would calm him down.

“Eddy?” I called, running down the stairs and nearly falling on my face. I caught myself and ran up to him, holding him close. “I’ve been looking all over for you!” I couldn’t help conceal my excitement as my face was probably consumed by my huge smile.

Attack of the killer facial expression! Beware lest it eat your face!!

“Jade,” he stated sternly, glaring at me. I looked up at him, confused. The smile left my face and so did my happiness. I felt queasy.

“What’s wrong?” I whispered, scared. I put a hand to my stomach, trying to calm down. I was going to be sick.

“When did you plan on telling me about yesterday?!” he yelled, glowering at me and grabbing hold of my shoulders. I winced, terrified. He looked ready to kill.

You wouldn’t hit a pregnant lady, would you?

I glanced back at Jayden who was smirking and I sighed.

“He told you, naturally. Look, I’m sorry I know you told me to stay away, but I wanted to take Monique home. She was so sad that she had to go alone and she cried, so one thing led to another and I went with him. I’m sorry. Are we okay?” He couldn’t be that mad at me, could he?

“We are not okay!” he screamed, pushing me away. I stumbled, but caught my balance.

“Don’t push me!” I yelled back, glaring. “I fucking love you, so why are you acting like this?”

“How should I be acting, hmm?” His face was twisting up in anger. I brought my hands to my tummy. If he hit me, I was going to protect the baby at all costs. “Should I be happy that my fiancée doesn’t love me anymore and that she’s a fucking whore?!”

“I am not a whore!” How dare he even say that? “What on earth are you talking about?”

“I’m talking about you and your lover, Jayden! How could you cheat on me?” He looked ready to cry. But I hadn’t cheated on him, so what was he so upset about?

“I didn’t cheat on you! I—” Then I understood. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jayden grinning an evil smile. “You!” I screamed, pointing at him. “How dare you tell him that!”

“I thought a dear friend deserved to know his fiancée is a slut,” he said innocently. I opened my mouth to yell at him, but all of a sudden I felt this stinging on my cheek and the world was spinning. I found myself sliding down a wall, crying.

Edwin hit me!

“What...Eddy, why did you...?” I couldn’t form words as I started bawling. “I thought you loved me!”

His face fell, but he didn’t make any attempt to help me up.

“I thought I did, too.”

Oh God...