Narcotic Sweet Talk

Ghost On The Altar

There was unanimous gasp from the group of people and Vic's knees buckled and he seemed to collapse onto the blanket as Shannon ran away. Vic's lungs seemed to not remember how to work, his heart had stopped. He held his breath, he held Shannon's breath just so that he had one last piece of her. So that she wouldn't completely leave.

But she was gone.

Shannon was now just a ghost on the altar of Vic's dreams. He lay there broken for what seemed like hours, the bright blue sky turned to black and it was now studded with stars. He would receive a pat on the shoulder by a stranger who had witnessed his heart breaking but the reassuring gestures had died after minutes but his tears hadn’t.

Vic felt like he was alone in the world, he was by himself in the night. A new, sadder melody was playing in the back of his head. Vic had no reason to believe in anything anymore, if there was a God then he was letting Him go, just for Shannon. He wanted nothing but Shannon and thus, he was letting everything else but her go.

Vic still lay in a fetal position on the quilted blanket he had brought to the park with Shannon. His whole body was shaking as his arms slowly unfolded themselves and found their way to the crown of his head. Tugging on his hair, Vic realized he was still alive. He could still feel pain and his heart was hurting more than ever. He began murmuring to himself, "What if I still care? What if I still care? What if I still care? She's gone."

Vic was numb, his lips mouthing soundless words. The slow symphonies in his head had gone; he could hear nothing and yet feel everything. He thought of Shannon in his apartment, in his room, in his bed with her head on his chest staring at the glow in the dark stars. A gust of wind blew past him and rustled the trees and that was the last he heard before he fell asleep.