Narcotic Sweet Talk

Let Me Know You're Alive

Vic viciously hung up the phone and tossed it in his lap. He scrambled in the bathtub in order to reach his back pocket without having to get up and took a hold of what he was looking for. He fumbled as he pulled a small blue switch knife from his pocket and held it up so he could see it. He remember his father giving this to him when he was ten, telling him he needed to protect himself but reminding him that "the knife was dull but it could still break the skin, so watch out boy." And breaking the skin was all Vic needed at that moment.

He slowly brought the knife down to his wrist with a shaking hand. He cut as deep as he could and gasped out in pain. Thick, red blood poured from the incisions and he switched the knife into the injured hand, continuing to slash at his other wrist. He clasped his hands together as the tight, burning sensation of splitting open his skin overwhelmed him. He brought the blood tinged knife up to his throat. He didn't know how far he would get and he didn’t care because with a knife that loves to feel he didn’t know how deep to go before it was real.

At that moment something on his leg vibrated. He was thoroughly confused in his drunken and blood deprived state before finally realizing it was his phone. He bent in half to see who was interrupting his attempt at death. Shannon, the phone blinked.

He whispered the name over and over to himself as he let the knife drop to the bottom of the tub and he scrambled for his phone. He answered it on the last ring and called out her name in pain, "Shannon, oh Shannon."

Her voice seemed far away and everything in front of Vic seemed to blur. His eyes were heavy-lidded and red rimmed from crying in pain. He was losing himself but he still had one thing to ask her, for some reason it was important to him. The memory of him and Shannon in bed together, lying in each other's arms naked swarmed his vision as he cut off her sentence, "Were you honest when you said 'I could never leave your bed'? Will you fall in love again?"

The smell of blood was spreading through the bathroom as Vic waited anxiously for some sort of answer. Shannon seemed to not know what to say on the other line but Vic was convinced he heard her whisper 'no'. Vic moaned out in pain and his whole body was now shaking, the phone was slippery from the blood that leaked onto it and he was struggling to keep it up to his ear. "Wake me up and let me know you're alive."

Vic dropped the phone as his body began shuttering and his eyes closed completely.

- - -

The sound of an ambulance's siren was noticeably close to Mike's apartment. Of course, Mike thought nothing of it and Jaime and Tony seemed not to notice. All of them were quite drunk and had seemed not to really notice Vic's long absence. Suddenly there was a loud knock on the door and Mike went to open it grumpily, thinking it was the neighbors.

A group of paramedics came bursting in and the three men were lost in confusion. "Why the hell are there doctors in my living room?" Mike shouted at one of the men holding a stretcher. The man looked confused and then rushed on towards the bathroom. Mike was stunned momentarily and didn’t notice a petite blonde walk through the already open front door.

"Holy shit, you scared the fuck out of me, Shanno...why the hell are you here, whore!" Mike screamed at the girl that broke his brother's heart. He looked around for support from Tony or Jaime but they had seemed to follow the paramedics into the hallway. Shannon shook her head, mouthing dumbass.

"Have you not realized your brother has been gone, attempting fucking suicide all this time?!" Shannon screamed at Mike. He stood there gaping, his long body was hunched over and his big hands now covered his pierced face. He made a b-line for the bathroom and leaped over a squatting doctor, to the bathtub's side.

What he saw made him want to throw up; his brother was unconscious, splattered with blood, his phone open in his lap along with a pocket knife. He began to shake and reached towards Vic only to be held back by Tony and Jaime who both held horror-struck expressions on their faces. A paramedic in the doorway muttered to his partner, "Just another boy without a sharper knife."