Streetlights

Streetlights

The one constant in Lacey’s life was the old streetlight outside her window. Every night at exactly 8 o’clock, it would click on and flood the whole street with pooling yellow light, and cast it with shadows. It comforted her and more importantly, it lit the path to Amy.

Silently shimmying her way out of the window, Lacey stole across the backyard and over the gate that divided the two properties.

“Lacy.” Amy softly whispered. Lacey smiled. She loved how her name sounded on Amy’s lips. It was right. It was perfect.

Lit by the lone streetlight, Amy’s face took on an ethereal glow and her raven hair shined like silver. With the soft summer breeze blowing through her locks, she seemed less human and more like a Grecian goddess that Lacey was blessed beyond compare to even be in the presence of.

“Lacey, what’ll happen to us?” Amy whispered. “We’ll be halfway a country away from each other this time tomorrow.” Her voice cracked slightly, as she tried to choke back tears. She refused to let tears intrude on her last night with Lacey.

“Honey, look at me.” Lacy turned the other girl’s head so that her hazel eyes pierced Amy’s icy blues. “A whole ocean could separate us or a whole fucking solar system. But you’re always gonna be right here.” Lacey placed Amy’s hand over her heart. “As long as my heart’s still beating, you’ll always be near me. And we’ll see each other every summer and Christmas. Ames, I promise, you’ll always be mine, and I’ll always be yours.”

“I know, but what—“a well-timed kiss silenced Amy’s doubts and fears. From that point on, no words could properly explain their feelings. The only one spoken after was Lacey’s whispered promise: “I’ll never leave you.”

And a night of lovemaking under the heavenly glow of the lone streetlight was the confirmation.
♠ ♠ ♠
A fluffy oneshot written in a fit of love.