Blue Fingers

Demanding

Rudeness can sometimes be gentle. I’ve learned that through my short years of life. Not all gentle comments are truly gentle, and not all rude comments are rude...Do you believe this?

Demanding.

My back felt sore, as if I had been in a teriible position for far too long. But now I was on something comfortable, warmth spreading over my legs.

I panicked.

My eyes shot open and I realized the warmth came from a bedsheet over my legs. I sighed in relief and looked around me. It looked like a guest room from the personality-less color scheme and lack of decoration, only useful things. I sat up very carefully and then slid my legs over the border of the bed, letting them fall gently until my toes felt the ground.

I stood up, no sense of falling coming over me. I slipped into my shoes and made the bed, getting out of the room as fast as I could. The music was still blasting, and the odor of cigarettes and alcohol was even stronger than ever if that were possible.

I went down the stairs into the first-floor landing. The number of people had doubled, so the bumping of shoulders against each other was inevitable. Plus, most were too drunk to even notice. I pushed a strand of hair behind my ear and tried breathing through my mouth rather than intoxicating myself by breathing through my nose.

I made my way through the crowd and out the front door. The fresh air greeted me, and I smiled as I walked into the front lawn and threw myself at the hue-covered grass, apparently some light raining had happened while I was asleep. I pushed my knees up to my chin, placing my fingers on top of my knees, the strings glowing in the poor light.

What was Eva doing there? Why had those people being so mean to me? Did I do something wrong without meaning to?

I sighed heavily, playing with the strings gently, trying to take my mind away from hurtful thoughts. That had been pretty difficult lately...no matter how absorbed I was on something else, sorrowful thoughts seemed to be able to make their way into my head once again. As if they had the key to every locked door, they were impossible to run away from.

“You’re sad.”

A voice pointed out. I could hear the sound of weight against the grass.

“I am.”

I replied without thinking, without even trying to know who the voice belonged to.

“You’re often sad...why is that? Is it because you’re a fragile person?”

“Probably.”

The person sort of chuckled. I could sent a small bit of alcohol in its breath.

“Why would you drink? Alcohol only make people do stupid things.”

“Maybe that’s what I want, making stupid things. Having an excuse to do what my heart desires without blaming myself for their repercussions.”

I scoffed, shaking my head.

“That’s even for stupid. If you do all that conciously, then you’ll feel even more guilty.”

He sighed deeply, shuffling his hair.

“I know, Alexis. I know.”

I turn around to look at him, his eyes were glassy and his spiky reddish hair was tousled. He was wearing a long-sleeved black shirt with a long dark jacket over it ,dark blue jeans and some weared-down converse.

“E-Ethan.”

I stuttered, I could feel the red rising up to my cheecks, I stared at the grass.

“It’s been a while,”

He stated, his voice a bit distant.

“It has.”

I replied, trying to maintain the cool I had lost ever since I saw his face.

“Something’s changed in you, Alexis.”

I stared at him, his eyes piercing, his lips slightly pink from the cold.

“But I can’t say what it is, exactly.”

He finished, his eyes not leaving mine.

“I-“

I began to say but I was caught off by a screaming,

“Alexis!”

I turned around to the source of desperate yelling. Beatrix was running towards me, her hair flowing around her, her beautiful features looked even more so when preoccupied. She seemed to have fleed off a Reinassance painting. Beatrix wrapped her arms around me, and the sudden human contact surprised me enough to make me loose my balance. A pair of strong hands pressed against my back, and I instantly knew they were Ethan’s.

“Thank God you’re alright! Eva scared me to death! Saying you had blacked out! Are you alright?”

“You blacked out?!”

Ethan echoed, his voice shocked and preocuppied. Beatrix looked his way curiously, once she recognized the feautures she slipped her arms off me, an embarassed expression covering her beautiful features.

“I-I’m sorry. I didn’t notice you were...I....Sorry Ethan...I’ll go.”

“No, it’s okay Beatrix. What happened Alexis?”

“Er...nothing...It’s okay.”

Ethan turned me around, his fingers digging on my shoulders.

“What happened?”

“I was talking to them...and they got all too near and I felt like I didn’t have enough air. That’s it, I swear.”

“That’s oneof the things that are different, you’re more fragile. What has happened lately, Alexis?”

Ethan asked, placing a gentle hand on my cheek.

“I...”

I looked down, my eyes scanning the grass. He placed free hand on my other cheek and turned my face so I was facing him. His eyes showed so much emotion than before, it was overwhelming.

“You what?”

He demanded, not only with his words but with his eyes, with his body language. He wanted me to tell him what was on my mind. No, he needed me to. I heard a shuffling of feet, and footsteps going away. I felt we were alone, just Ethan and me.

“Alexis.”

He said softly, so demanding, so breath-taking, so perfect.

“I missed you, Ethan. I really, really, missed you.”

He opened his mouth, but words didn’t come out. For once, I saw him completely shocked. It took him a few seconds but he then smiled. Ethan let fo of my face and instead placed his hands over my shoulder blades, pushing me to him gently. It was as if we were the last two pieces of the puzzle, my body fitted perfectly into his, his arms and mine intertwining, my face fitted perfectly in the crook of his neck.

“I didn’t realize I missed you too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the typhos, people. Comments are much appreciated!