Every Moment

Sweet Tangerine

Greta waddled down the white path once again, her head filled with thoughts. She especially wanted to know why her heart was beating so fast. She wasn't running, yet she was sweaty. She shivered.

Most of all:

Chris said she was beautiful.

She sighed and continued through the town. It was half empty, probably everyone was at the circus. She walked subtly. Greta passed a cathedral. Some pidgeons scattered. It was cloudy, and a light mist fell down on her sholders. She clutched her peacoat. Glumly, she looked at her moccasins.

She cried, blending with the rain that was picking up. Her teared eyes looked at the endless path ahead of her. She was almost at Cape Hush Lighthouse, her destination. She was heading out of the town now. Once she was about thirty feet away from it, she sat in a small patch of grass to rest, eat an apple, and gather her thoughts.
-------------------
Three miles later, the sound of ocean waves greeted a tired and famished Greta. She had eaten all her apples, and found a pear tree, but the pears weren't edible. The lighthouse was only thirty feet away, and that meant a cot, and food. No one lived there, it wasn't in commision, just a rapidly dilapidating stone building.

Greta rapped on the door to see if the lighthouse's blue stone rooms were occupied. There wasn't a returning knock, so she took the skeleton key out of her pocket, attached to a leather strand. She clicked it into the lock on the splintered door. It made a subtle click and she pushed it open.

Inside the old building, there was a small army cot, a few windows, an old 70's refrigerator, a toilet, and that was about it. Greta hiked up the creeky wooden stairs. Inside the lightroom, the light used to beacon ships was turned ominously dark. She pulled a string of a bare lightbulb hanging like a ghost. It flickered through a layer of dust.

Still exploring her new residence, Greta stepped out of her new abode, and onto the windy sea shore. She looked out at the ocean's horizon. If the world is so round, why does the ocean make it seem so flat? she thought. The wind ripped her gold locks violently, the ocean spray feeling good on her fair skin.

She sat on a piece of slate, that was perched over the sea like a miniature cliff. Greta held her knees to her chest and wailed out all of the agony and sadness in song. She sung of arrows, and of the voice of reason. She felt a hand on her sholder.

"You sing beautifully, dearie." The voice said. Greta turned around.
"Thank you ma'am." She said politely. Behind her, was a lady, pastey bluish in color. Greta realized what she was seeing. She was seeing someone from beyond.

"I used to sing;" The woman continued. "Then Edward died."
"Who's Edward?" Greta asked.
"Edward was my lover. He was lost at sea, well I was too, anyway it's a long story..."
"I want to hear it, if you don't mind, that is."

"Well, Edward and I ran away, or eloped with each other, and we were going by sea, and then, there was a terrible storm. An electrical wire lit up that whole city like a kid's face on Christmas Day. It was a terrible fire, and the city hasn't really recovered. Anyway, we were trying to get to this lighthouse, and then a big wave came and swept Edward away. I clinged to the railing at the top of the lighthouse the wave was that large. I called out his name but he never heard. He was gone. I tried to get into the lighthouse, and the door was locked from the outside. I was swept away."

"Wait, doesn't that mean you're-" Greta turned around, but the ghost had dissapeared into thin air.

"Better loved and lost than not have loved at all." She said to herself. Greta cried weakly with a laugh from hysteria. She looked out at the now impending sunset. It hung limply in the sky like an impressionist's painting.

"I miss you mum, I wan't you back." She said to the purple sky above. The wind whistled, tossling her golden hair behind her head. Greta stood and watched the sun settle behind the flat horizon. The sky got dark, so she went back to the lighthouse, that had been the woman's fate.

"Goodnight," She said to herself.

"Goodnight" The woman's ghost echoed from the rafters.

She was alone here.
----------------------------