Every Moment

Lighthouse

Greta awoke to the thunder of the crashing waves outside the lighthouse. It was only 9:00 in the morning, and her ghostly sleep had claimed her for a good 10 hours. Her dreams were filled of Chris, his big nose, longish hair and crooked smile. She held his memory close as she brushed her hair silently humming a small tune.

"Vivaldi?" A voice asked. She turned around.

"Well is it?" The ghost that haunted the lighthouse asked impatiently.

"Yes'm it's Spring." She replied.

"Ah yes, That was Edward's favorite song. I got so tired of hearing it. But when he died I would've given anything for him to play it again."

"Play it?" Greta asked confuzzled.

"He was a pianist." The ghost echoed in her voice.

"Hey wait! Well-" She stumbled with her words when she found herself alone again. A knock came at the door, followed by a string of muffled curses, probably from the splinters.
She froze in panic.

"Who is it?" She stuttered.

"Ow-crap! It's me! Chris!" Chris shouted. CHRIS! Greta stumbled quickly to the door.

"Hiya." She smiled at her friend.

"Yeah, hi" He said sucking on his knuckle from his splintery knock. "You need a new door."
She laughed.

"Yeah, I guess I do." Greta shrugged. "Come in. Sorry about the mess."

"Oh, it's perfectly fine. By the way, I brought you some leftover funnel cake." He said handing her a plate.

"Thanks!" She ate it politely while Chris sat down beside her.

"So... Where are your friends?" She asked.

"Oh they didn't want to get thier lazy asses up to come and visit. So I left them."

"You live here alone?" He inquired.

"Yeah, well it's a long story-"

"I want to hear it."

"Okay, well a couple years ago my father went into the navy and his training ship sunk. He's been missing for five years. My mother was the only one left. Life was fine, then a year later, she was diagnosed with liver cancer. She died four days ago."

Pain and sympathy hung in Chris's deep eyes.

"I'm sorry for your loss." He said.

"It's fine. Anyway, the people heard of her death and word got around. Police officers knocked at our door. I packed up all of our money, four hundred dollars, and the fish bone hairbrush and mirror we bought in Mexico. I stuffed it in my pocket, and ran. Ran away from the haunting possibility of being in an orphanage, the last thing I wanted. So now I'm here. Please don't tell on me! I'm not here!"

"I won't I swear, besides no one goes to Cape Hush anymore."

"Well what's your story?" She asked.

"I was raised a normal boy all the way in Chicago. Then as a five year old I moved into that little town in a small cottage. My parents are caring, and I worry them. I wasn't exactly the most popular person ever. I was bullied and hurt. My nose is like this because this huge kid broke it. I then met Bob and Darren, and sharing our love of music, we sorta clicked, and we fight the bullies together, although we're losing. So yeah, that's my story."

Greta listened with earnest ears. Her eyes widened at this brave soldier. He was so confident yet so vulnerable. She hugged him gently. He hugged back. They both blushed.

"Sorry." They said at the same time.

"The tide's not that rough today and your bracelet's at the bottom of the sea, if you want to go swimming. It's a beautiful sea." He asked.

"Of couse" She agreed. "Besides I need to catch my lunch."

"You mean you survive like, primitively. Live off the land?" He eyes were wide.

"Yeah, I do. It's not like there's a supermarket around the corner. It's a proactive lifestyle that takes getting used to."

"Wow, that's amazing." Chris's eyes were lit up. "So, swimming?"

"Yeah."

Greta slipped off her gown leaving only a tank top and underpants on. She felt so comfortable around her friend, that she needn't be embarrased. Chris slid off his jeans and shirt, leaving boxers and a bare chest.

"Wow." She mumbled under her breath.

They dived under the water, looking at each other. Some fish scattered, the azul, clear water gleamed, leaving all visible underneath when it was calm. Greta gazed at him, while he was trying to catch a fish. His shaped thin figure with robust features splashed about, scaring away his target. He swam up to the surface. She followed.

"God, that's hard!" He laughed.

"That's 'cause you're not doing it right." She giggled, diving down.

Greta chased after gracefully after a cod that was swimming away quickly. She darted quickly and with the flick of a hand, she lodged her knife into the fish's scaley skin. She grabbed it and plugged up the wound, so the smell of blood wouldn't attract sharks.

"Show off." Chris muffled through choked laugher. Greta smiled.

Thier bodies were slick with salt water, their hair was flat and darker than usual, and thier cheeks were flushed. They were smiling and laughing until Greta looked onto the horizon.

"Hey, look!" She pointed at the horizon. A shimmering sunset settled beneath the earth.

"If the world is round, why does the ocean make it seem flat?" He asked.

"I know! It's weird. I just want to sail out there and see if I'll fall off the earth. It's exactly what I've always wanted to do!"

"I'd come with you. I bet Bob and Darren would too."

"Yeah."

"I'd best be getting home, I told my parents I was going out to the beach for the day, so now they'd be worried. I'll come out tomorrow, but then the day after is Monday and I have school, so I'll ride my bike here when I get back. I love the ocean. Also, any friends I have are worth tending to." He smiled.

"Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow. Right now." She held up the cod. "I have to clean this sucker!"

They shared one last laugh before Chris headed off for the night.

"Bye, Sugar, I'll see you tomorrow!"

She waved and went up to the tower to watch Chris walk until he was out of sight. Greta then went to sleep, the ghost singing Christmas carols even if it was only May.
------------------------