Every Moment

Where We Went Wrong (A Long Chapter)

Chris Faller paced quickly down the white path wondering anxiously if what he did was right. He wasn't sure, and he didn't want to be. All he knew was that his cavalier action had made him feel...well, he wasn't sure what he felt, as he never felt that way before. He placed his index and middle finger onto his chest. His heart was beating really fast.

Reluctantly he looked back to the lighthouse. It was merely a silloette in the distance. Chris ran all the way to his house, where Darren and Bob and all of thier parents were gathered, worried looks on thier faces.

"Where the hell have you been?!" His mother screamed at him.

"I got caught by a huge wave. I was walking on the shore. It just hit me." He replied.

"Well that explains your wet appearance. But what I want to know is why you go to the beach by yourself all the time. It's annoying, and I know you aren't an outdoors person." His mom's face was wine red. Bob and Darren exchanged glances at each other.

"I like the ocean, and I have alot to think about." He lied.

"Yeah, right." Darren said a little to loudly.

"Shut up." Chris shushed.

"No Darren, kindly tell us why he dissappears so often, or I swear, you won't see light for a while. Isn't that right, Mrs. Wilson?" His mother asked Darrens. Chris's heart stopped.

"Please, Darren go ahead." Darren's mom pleaded. Darren mouthed 'sorry' to Chris, his eyes shown upset.

"Tell the truth, I can tell if you lie. Your ears get red." Bob's mom said.

"Well, um, Chris's up to a discovery. He's doing something for school."

"Bull. Tell us, your ears are the colour of rhubarb." She told him. Darren sighed.

"Well, he's been seeing someone, there, a friend of his. She's nice, I often accompany him on his voyages."

"So basically, he sneaks off to see a 'friend' of his. Well they must be a good friend, because he's never been this commited to anything." Chris's mom continued.

"Mom, please-" Chris pleaded.

"Chris! This will stop! I mean it. Due to your 'voyages' you are forbidden to go to that beach! Your friend will have to come visit you. But I won't let her. She's lured you in, so now it's gonna stop. I am dead serious. Grounded are you, and I'm sure that that beach will be without your presence for a long long lifetime."

"But mom! This isn't fair! I didn't do anything!"

"No buts!"

Chris stormed off to his room, tears flowing down his eyes. He wouldn't forgive Darren. Ever. How could she do this? He hadn't done anything. She didn't either. His thoughts penetrated as if they were trying to escape his head. A knock on the door.

"Come in." He mumbled. Darren entered.

"I don't want to talk to you." Chris said bitterly.

"Man, I'm sorry it's just that-" Darren was cut of by Chris's outrage.

"What? That you're a coward! Not risking your own punishment for the one thing your best friend was truly happy with?! Would it kill you to get a spine?!"

"Look." Darren picked up again, his voice tense. "I'm sorry that this happened to you, but maybe it's for the best."

Rage filled Chris.

"You don't know the meaning of what you speak." He spat.

"Yeah, well. Maybe I do. I know you, she's a siren, she's almost ghostly. Look, I like Greta as much as you do, so it pains me to say it."

"You don't like her nearly as much as I do."

The arguement was stopped by a flash of lightning. Chris opened his window, a gust of wind knocking some leaves into the room of the two story house.

"What the hell are you doing?" Darren shouted.

"I'm going to say goodbye." Chris stated as he slid down the fire ladder, from his window. A tear fell from his eye as he ran in the rain to the lighthouse.
----------------------------
Greta was startled out of her sleep by a knocking at her door. She stumbled to open it. Chris stood there drentched in rainwater.

"What are you doing here?" She asked tiredly, rubbing her eye.

"I came to explain my situation." He replied.

"Well, I'm listening."

"Okay, I came home, and my mom demanded she know where I was going. They had to bribe Darren with punishment, and first he lied, then he was forced to tell the truth. My mom sorta lost it. She said I wasn't allowed to come here ever again. She will find out."

Greta was crying. Her soft tears splashed the damp ground, as little drops of pain making a puddle of misery.

"It's okay, It'll all work out. I swear. She can't stop me. She won't. I promise I'll find away. I will never let you go, you're too much of a good friend."

Chris enveloped her in a friendly hug, softly wiping the tears away from her soft face.

"I'll have to go." Chris softly cooed.

"Be back soon." She beckoned.

"I will, I promise."

"I love you." She whispered as he left her sight.
-----------------------
Chris arrived to the painful screams of his mother. He was off to his room, the fire ladder disarmed from his now bolted window. He sat at his oak desk, with only a desk lamp to guide him. He took out a piece of note book paper out and wrote on it:

My mom won't disarm my heart. I swear.
I love you Greta.

It was more a note to himselg. He'd never give it to her. Ever.
Chris cried himself to sleep, the paper clutched fervently in his grasp.
------------------------
Greta's pained thoughts also haunted her. She took out her penknife, and carved Chris's name into her wooden stairs.

"Chris? Is that your Edward?" The ghost asked.

"Yes, he is. Now shut up." She sighed through painful tears that stung her eyes.

Greta cried herself to sleep. She whispered his name over and over until her lips got chapped, and sleep had claimed.
---------------------------