The Biggest Fan

Gaming.

We were still having dinner by the sofa group, slurping our chicken soup with great enjoyment.
“Where we headin´?”, I asked, surprised by my own accent, which only days ago was English school girl-like.
“Erm…”, Bert said finishing his last piece of chicken in his bowl. “Fuck, I’ve forgot”.
“Hamburg”, Jepha added, sticking his veggie-covered tongue out to Bert.
“Yeah, that’s the place. It’s here in Germany, right?”
“Yep”.
“Good, ‘cause having gigs in several cities in foreign countries is really confusing! Hell, last night Düsseldorf and the next thing you know, you’re playing in Hamburg. Fucking confusing”.

“All right, then”, Quinn suddenly said, gathering everyone’s now empty bowls before putting them into the kitchen sink.
“Hey, who wants chocolate for dessert?”, he then asked looking into the fridge surprised there even was chocolate there.
“Me!”, Dan said later followed by Jepha’s ‘nah’.
“Is it dark chocolate?”, I asked feeling slightly embarrassed for sounding picky.
“No, sorry. Just regular I’m afraid”.
“Oh… Then I’m okay”. I couldn’t help sounding disappointed due to the fact that I really wanted chocolate.

“Yeah, me too”, Bert said. “I prefer dark chocolate, like, the ones containing over 70 percent cocoa and shit, you know?”
“Exactly! They’re the best. I like the bitter coffee-like taste in them”, I agreed receiving Bert’s smile.
“Nah”, Jepha added explaining further on. “Chocolate’s not good for you, kids. Take me as an example; I never eat candy, I exercise daily, I’m a vegetarian only eating healthy stuff, plus I drink large amounts of tea.”
“Yeah, right. I bet we’re all gonna wind up having fuckin´ carrots sticking out of our ears if we start eatin´ like you do”, Quinn said, making us all laugh while the chocolate was glistening inside his mouth, covering his teeth with brownish liquid.

“Hey, wanna play X-box?”, Dan suddenly asked.
“Do you have X-box here?”, I said enthusiastically.
“Fuck, yeah”.
“Sure, I’ll play!”
“Yeah, me too”, Jepha added as he and Quinn followed me and Dan all the way at the end of the bus, where there was an un-used king-size bed with an unknown amount of pillows in it
“So, which games do you guys have?”, I asked going through the stock of CD covers which were stashed beneath the 38’ TV.

“We’ve got all types of zombie splat games if you’re into those kinda games”, Dan said later followed by my nod.
“Also, we’ve got some skating games like Tony Hawk and stuff”.
“I wanna play Tony Hawk Pro Skating!”, Bert suddenly burst out as he crashed on the king-size bed right next to me.
“Mmm, comfy”, he said before leaning his back on some pillows with his arms behind his neck.

“Okay”, Dan said putting the Compact Disc inside the X-box. “Tony Hawk it is”.
“But we’re five people and only controllers. We need to take turns”, Quinn added looking at the TV screen seeing the game load.
“That’s okay. You guys can play. I’ll wait”
“Fuck, no. We’re a team”, Bert said before grabbing my hand and giving me a controller.
“You can wait, Jeph. I can see it in your eyes. You suck anyway”, he continued while choosing the multiple player mode on the game’s menu.
“I kinda suck too, though”, I said trying to defend Jepha a little.
“I mean, I’ve never played this game before, so I bet Jepha’s a much better player than I am”.
“Cut the crap”, Bert added. “No one sucks harder than Jeph”.

I had to laugh by the two-meaning metaphor of that sentence, and I could see Jepha doing the same.
As we were choosing a character, Quinn and Dan, who were a team, were trying to come up with a suiting team name.
“’The Dream Team’!”, Dan burst out getting ready to type it on the screen.
“Fuck, you’re so unoriginal”, Quinn said sourly.
“You’re gonna lose so bad with that name, guys”, Bert commented looking at me with a smile on his face.

“We can call ourselves ‘The Lynchers’?”, I suggested, raising my eyebrows to wait for Bert’s respond.
“Totally!”, he said while pressing the buttons on his controller, typing our team name on the TV screen.
I noticed his fingers while he was typing. His nails were bitten down and stumped, dirty and had filth underneath them. Just like mine.

“There”, Bert said, typing the last letter while pressing the ‘OK’ button. “We’re done now.
Done soon?
“Okay, okay! Stop nagging”, Quinn responded slightly irritated before finally typing his and Dan’s team name.
“’Softcores?’ ‘Softcores’?! What do you think we are? A couple of gay dudes? There’s no way in hell we’re gonna be named ‘Softcores’!”
“Too late, Danny boy”, Jepha said grinning, pressing the ‘OK’ button on Quinn’s controller, before heading towards the kitchen area.
“Traitor!”, Dan yelled from the bed, getting his controller up from the floor.

“Okay, you ready, Lina?”, Bert asked, looking at me with a not-so successful firm look.
I nodded and held my controller as hard as I could, watching the loading bar disappear.
5 – 4 – 3 – 2 – 1 – Go!
The TV screen was split into four screens, one for each player. Bert was number one, I number two, Quinn number three and Dan number four.
During the game, I sucked big time, and I couldn’t even perform the easiest tricks. I bored the hell out of myself, barely even managing to do an Ollie trick.
“Uhm… Do you wanna try, Jepha?”, I asked, looking at him with a resigned face expression.
“No, dude. You brought this on yourself”, he said laughing, taking a sip of his mineral bottled water.

I rolled my eyes with a smile and kept on doing tricks as good as I could. Luckily, Bert seemed to have been playing this game a lot since it was one of his favorite games, so he was doing a pretty good job.
Quinn and Dan on the other hand, weren’t doing as well. Dan was on my level, the newbie one, although he managed to pull a few tricks off once in a while. His lack of timing didn’t give his tricks a high rate, though.

“Hah!”, Bert burst out victorious, gazing at his and my side of the screen; ‘WINNER!’.
“Team ‘The Lynchers’ won. That’s us, Lina”, he said, bumping into my shoulder with a smile as looking into my eyes.
At that point, I saw something in his eyes that really caught my attention. They were shining so bright and it wasn’t until then that I finally realized that they were steel gray with a touch of blue. It was a unique mix.
They were so deep, I almost drowned in them.
♠ ♠ ♠
okay, so i confess; xbox is one of my passions.
i love that game console. it's just so awesome.
well, that was the update. tell me what you think of it. (:

xo,
lina.