The Biggest Fan

Zombie Slaughtering.

““We lynched you guys all right”, Bert said looking over at Quinn and Dan who had already put down their controllers.
“Do you have any other games?”, I asked, almost hoping they would suggest one of their zombie games. Main, how I love a good splat!
“Sure, help yourself”, Dan responded while taking the Tony Hawk game out of the X-box console and into its cover.

“How about this one?”, I suggested, holding up a zombie game that was titled ‘House of the Dead III’.
“Yeah, sure. That game’s pretty rad”, he said while I gave it to him.
As he was putting the disc inside the X-box, I kept thinking how I would manage this game.
“It’s not hard, is it? I mean, have you beaten the game before?”
“Err, no, actually, we haven’t. So, yeah, it’s kinda hard. We’re still struggling a little with it. Have you played this sort of games before?”
“Well, I mean, I have. Remember my best friend back home?”
“Yeah! The one with the weirdo name?”, Quinn asked grinning.

“Yes, Quinn. Malin”. I had to smile. “Well, before the summer holiday we were playing this game called ‘Silent Hill 2: Inner Fears’. And we managed to beat the game, but we used the walkthrough, though. Either way, it was kinda fun playing it, so I think I have so experience”.
“Ahh, that’s awesome. Hah, I’ll remember to use a walkthrough next time”, Dan laughed while he launched the game.
The TV screen immediately become black as the title suddenly came up, drenched in blood.
“There’s only one player on this game, so we’re gonna have to take turns. The game’s divided into chapters, so we’ll play one chapter each”.

“Yeah, great idea”, Quinn said while grabbing the 1st controller which Bert had dropped on the floor.
“You wanna play first, Jeph?”, he asked, looking at Jepha who’d just finished his bottle of water.
“No, I try to stay away from zombie games. Look, I’mma go to bed for a while. I’ve got this fucking headache”, he responded before heading towards the bunk beds.
“And then there were four”, Bert said sitting up from the bed with his legs crossed.
“You wanna give it a go, Lina?” Quinn asked looking at me.

“No, I’ll try later. You play and let us see what you’re good for”, I answered as I wiggled my eyebrows while smiling.
“Okay, but you’re gonna be sorry”, he said pressing the ‘start’ button and launching the game.
As Quinn was playing, I couldn’t stop noticing how he was gripping the controller so it almost broke and watching the TV with one eye shut. It was hilarious and Bert and Dan were twitching in the big bed laughing their heads off.

At last Quinn gave up with not completing the chapter.
“Stupid fuckin´ game! You sure you chose normal and not hard mode, Dan?”, Quinn asked, throwing the controller away.
“Yeah, pretty sure”, he responded giggling. “Okay, my turn. Let see if at least someone can finish this chapter”.
He did, and the next one too, which was even harder than the first one.

As Dan way playing, slaughtering the zombies, I felt something, or someone, touching my left hand which was resting next to me.
I looked down at it and saw Bert’s finger slowly stroking it.
I immediately felt my heartbeat raising, sensing my sweat starting to come.
Was he coming on to me? I mean, me, a slightly chubby, blonde girl, almost always wearing black clothing that accidentally had joined her favorite rock band, which happened to be on tour?
Hell, no.

I looked at my hand which still was being stroked by Bert’s finger. Then I looked up at him, meeting his eyes as he smiled.
With no reason of knowing why, I pulled back my hand while still smiling.
I didn’t dare look at him when I pulled it back, not knowing how he would react.
As Dan just killed the final zombie of chapter two, he lay down on the bed obviously tired from his slaughtering.

“Who’s next?”, he asked, holding up his controller.
“Me, I’ll give it a try”, Bert responded in a voice that made me wonder if he was either tired or disappointed.
Either way, he wasn’t doing that well in the game. He constantly kept ignoring the zombies that were attacking him from behind, and his timing sucked.
“Hey, what’s the matter, Bert? Fallen asleep or what?”, Quinn asked.

“Fuck you!”, Bert yelled, trying to avoid the zombie’s melee attack.
I felt almost sorry for him then and somehow I felt almost like it was my fault that he’d suddenly changed his mood.
“I think you’re doing great”, I said supportively, putting my hand on his shoulder while smiling.
“Thanks. At least someone knows how to be nice around here”, he responded, while killing, which I think was, the last zombie in the third chapter.

“Your turn!”, Bert continued as he handed me the controller. His voice was suddenly gentle again, with no reminder of how his mood was just seconds again.
As he gave me the controller, I could feel his thumb brushing my little finger, with avoiding looking at me.
Quinn and Dan didn’t notice Bert’s touch of affection, which was good. Then I didn’t have to explain the whole thing, making this even more embarrassing than it already was.

I quickly took the controller out of Bert’s hand, this time not making any eye contact. That would’ve been fatal.
“Okay, here it goes”, I said as I started playing. I immediately got some associations from the time when Malin and I were playing zombie games. Therefore, I knew what I was doing while I was killing the zombies, making sure that no one was attacking me from behind or any other assaults.

“Fuck, you’re good!”, Quinn commented, sitting almost glued to the TV screen, admiring my moves in the game.
“Another one of your famous hidden talents, I presume?”, Bert asked brushing his hand against my arm, only this time I thought he was playing around.
Dan constantly kept asking we where I’d learn how to play like that, but stopped when I hit chapter six, not knowing what to do.

“Fucking mind game”, I said sourly, putting down the controller and giving up.
“Oh, the great heroine was conquered”, Dan said with a grin on his face.
“Anyone hungry?”, Quinn suddenly asked out of the blue as he got up from the big bed where we all were sitting.
“Yeah”, Dan responded, following Quinn to the kitchen area down the tour bus.

“… And then there were two”, Bert said in a raspy voice, while lying down next to me.
“Yeah”. I tried to avoid yawning, but failed.
As I was just finished yawning, I felt Bert putting his hand over his head, stretching it out as it settled down just over my head.
I guess it was just a friendly gesture, because I’d seen him do that on the other guys too.
“So…”, he said, looking at the ceiling, trying to find a way to break the silence. “Whaddaya wanna do?”
“I don’t know. Maybe just relax a little”, I answered, feeling the tour bus’ engine grumble.
“It’s getting kinda late”.

We had been driving all day, across an unfamiliar highway, crossing bridges and driving passed enormous buildings.
“Yeah, we could do that”, Bert said agreeing on taking it slow.
“We could sleep here, though”, he continued. “I mean, it’ a lot bigger than my little bunk bed that we’re already sharing, so it’ll give us more space”.
“Yeah”, I answered, noticing how unsecure my voice suddenly was.

“Or you wanna sleep here alone, ‘cause that’s cool”.
“No, it’s okay. You can sleep here if you want to”, I said with a smile.
“Then it’s settled”, he grinned as he got up from the bed to get an extra pillow and some covers.
“What am I doing?”, I asked myself, trying to answer the question. What was I thinking of, leading Bert on like that.
My stomach began to turn as I started discussing the question over and over in my head.
No, I wasn’t leading him on. I didn’t like him as more than a friend. Neither did he.
Or did I? Did he?
♠ ♠ ♠
okay, another update dedicated to my undying love for x-box and zombie games. x]
ahh, don't you just love 'em? : D
plus; tell me your opinion on this update.
'cause i'd really like to know. (:

xo,
lina.