The Biggest Fan

The Book Worm.

We were still laughing, Quinn and I, as we were standing near the kitchen area while putting the dried dishes up on the shelves over us.
When we were done, the clock had already turned 12 am and I was feeling tired as hell.
“God, I’m tired”, I said, rubbing my eyes.
“Yeah, me too”, Quinn agreed yawning.
“Well, I think I’m gonna go to the bathroom now”.
“Yeah, okay. Good night”, he said before je suddenly gave a little hugging, wrapping his arm around my back.

I was totally caught off guard and all I managed to do was to smile as I went into the bathroom.
It wasn’t until I was inside I realized that I’d forgotten my red backpack containing my toilet bag.
So I opened the door slightly, reaching my hand out for the backpack which was right next to the door and pulled it inside.
I stripped down to my tee and underwear and started brushing my teeth.

As I got out of the bathroom again, I noticed the sound from the Play Station was off, so I figured Bert and Dan had gone to bed as well.
It was about time, they had been playing for hours!
“Good night”, a voice said, coming from one of the bunk beds. It was Jepha.
“Good night”, I responded giggling, seeing him wave as he leaned out of his bunk bed with a big phony grin on his face.

I walked towards the king-size bed at the other side of the bus, seeing Bert lying there while reading some sort of book.
“Hey”, he said, putting away the book and taking off his dark brown reading glasses as he looked at me with a smile.
“Hi”, I replied, lying down on the bed before starting to shiver a split second.
The sheets felt cold against my bare thighs as I took the covers up to my chin.

“What were you and Quinn doin´?”
“Doing your dishes”.
“Oh. I was playin´ with Dan. I owed him”.
“I bet you did. So, what are you reading?”, I asked, looking at his book that was placed on the tiny night stand next to him.
“Nothin´ much, just a book called ‘The Catcher In the Rye’. I'm kinda like a book worm, actually. I love readin´ when I have the chance”.
‘The Catcher In the Rye’. It was something about that title. I’d heard it before.

“Actually”, Bert continued. “Gerard, you know, advised me to read it. It’s actually kinda nice”.
Gerard. That’s where I’d gotten the title from. I’d seen an interview with him where he’d happened to mention the book, calling it his ‘comfort book’. He always used to read it while he was on tour he said.

“Oh, I see. Yeah, I’ve heard about it. I’ve always wanted to read it ever since I heard about it a couple of years ago”, I said excited. I wasn’t lying.
“Cool! You can read it after me if you’d like?”
“Sure, thanks”.
The sheets didn’t feel as cold anymore as I tucked myself once more under the covers.

“You gonna sleep now?”, Bert asked, looking down at me from where he was sitting, leaning his back against the wall as he was holding his book.
“I’m not sure”.
“I could turn off the lights if you wanna?”
His eyes were shining bright from the night stand’s light that was next to him.
For a second there, they were almost sparkling.
“No, that’s okay. You can just read, I’ll be fine”, I answered smiling, staring into the ceiling.

At that point, the bus suddenly jumped, almost as we were running over something that just wouldn’t disappear under the wheels.
“Bert?”, I asked, feeling slightly nervous by the bus’ abnormal wiggling.
“Yeah?”
“Where are we actually and why is the bus wiggling?”
“Oh, it’s because we’re boarding the ship that’s gonna take us to the states, remember?”
“Oh, yeah!”
“Where did you think we’d get to the US with the tour bus – by plane?”, he grinned.
“No, I guess not”, I said laughing.

“Hey, we better get up for a minute. The security guards or somethin´ are gonna check our passports n’ stuff, so you should get yours and keep it ready”.
“Yeah, okay. I’ll go get it right away”.
So I got up from bed, put on some pants and found my passport in my red backpack.
“Hey, could you get mine too? It’s over there by the table”, Bert asked, poiting at the little table next to the tiny brown-ish sofa.
“Sure”.

“Are you guys up too?”, Quinn suddenly said, coming from the bunk bed followed by Jepha and Dan, all dressed in a tee and some pyjamas pants.
“Yes. Bert said that someone was gonna come and check our passports?”, I replied
“Yeah. Have you seen mine by the way?”
“I’m not sure. I think I saw something that looked like a passport over there by the shelf”.
“Oh, yeah! There they are, all of ‘em. Thanks”.

Before we knew it, we heard a soft knock on the tour bus’ door, signifying that we had company.
“I guess that’s the security guards”, Jepha said, opening the door.
“Hello. Sorry for disturbing you at this time of the night, but due to the safety policies, we need to check your passports”.
“Of course”, Jepha then said, handing the security guard his passport, making us do the same.
“Okay, all checked. Thank you, and have a pleasant night”.

“Well, that was it, I guess. I don’t know about you guys, but I’m headin´ straight back to bed. Good night”, Quinn announced with a smile, walking towards the bunk beds again.
“Yeah, me too. Good night, guys”, Jepha and Dan agreed.
“Good night”, I replied, taking off my pants before getting into the king-size bed next to Bert.

As I peeked out of the small window above us, I saw nothing but a grey steel wall indicating that we now were inside the ship.
I lay down on the bed again, turning my back against Bert as I clinched to the covers.
“Night”, he said, hearing him turning over to a new page in his book as he was adjusting his glasses on the tip of his cute nose.
“Good night”, I replied, feeling my eyes getting harder and harder to keep open.
I gazed outside the small window above me from where I was lying once more, letting the light from the outside hypnotize me. I fell asleep shortly after, drowning into the light that now was filling my mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
okay, so i wasn't really planning on updating today,
but have you guys noticed which date it is today? : D
[ nothing special considerating the public, but still. ]
it's been two months since i posted this story today, yay!
so in addition to that, i decided to update. (:
and also, i'd like to thank everyone that has bothered to
read this story.
especially those who've been there from the start two months ago.
it really means a lot to me, guys. so thank you so much. <3

xo,
lina.