‹ Prequel: Escapology

The Road

News - Part 1- Mia's POV

“You started watching the film without me?” Frank complained.

“We finished watching the film without you. You were 2 hours late!” Gerard yelled. I laughed.

I don’t think I've laughed much recently. I think Gerard’s a bit worried about me but I've assured him that I'm okay. I know he's just being responsible.

“Where have you been?” I enquired, imitating the voice Gerard used last night when I was half an hour late. I stayed an extra half an hour at Alicia’s. You can't really blame me though; it’ll be the last time I see her in a while.

“You know I had a date with that hot doctor. Dinner just took longer than I expected!” Frank explained.

“2 hours longer?”

“And other things happened too. You don’t need the details. And besides,” he gestured towards me. “You’re too young anyway!”

“Eww, Frank! Gross!!!” Gerard squealed. I laughed again.

“Do you know she's shorter than me?”

“That’s something to be very proud of Frank. There aren’t a lot of people you can say that about,” Gerard laughed. Frank smiled ear to ear.

I got up to go get myself a drink when the phone rang.

“Will you get that it drives me mad?” I yelled into the other room.

As I poured the Vimto into the glass I heard Gerard’s voice. During the course of the conversation I heard his voice getting quieter and more official. When I walked back into the room he didn’t look like the happiest person the world.

Frank went into my bedroom. It was pretty obvious he didn’t want to be here when Gerard told me this.

“Its bad news isn’t it?” I asked. “Don’t worry, I'm used to it.”

“Look hun, it’s your dad…” he started.

“What? He escaped?” I asked.

“No sweetheart. He’s dead,” he told me. “Suicide.”

“And good riddance too!” I said, going into the bathroom.