‹ Prequel: Escapology

The Road

Red Eyes - Mia's POV

I woke up with a splitting headache. It literally felt like someone had snuck into my bedroom while I was asleep and cut my head in half with a blunt axe.

I glanced at the clock. 7 o’clock. Far too early to be up on a Sunday morning. Groaning I made my way to the kitchen, trying to be quiet so I didn’t wake Gerard up.

I poured myself some apple juice and went into the living room. There was no point in trying to get back to sleep with a headache like this. I sat down and turned on the TV.

“Urrggh, what’s that?” a voice said from the chair beside me.

I looked towards where the voice came from and saw Gerard hunched up in the chair, half asleep. His eyes were red and half open; he was slumped in an uncomfortable position and his head was tilted away from the window. A mug with lukewarm coffee was on the table beside him and he had drunk half of it.

The details of last night came back to me. Our argument, me storming into my room, me crying. Suddenly, my headache made sense to me. I had spent almost an hour slamming my head against the wall. I can’t tell you why, I must have just been out of my mind. I didn’t care about anything last night, least of all about Gerard.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered. He groaned and shifted in his seat. I handed him a tissue from the box on the table. He blew his nose loudly and scrunched the tissue up in his hand. He looked away from me, like he was ashamed.

I picked up his coffee cup and went into the kitchen. I tipped the old coffee down the sink and put the kettle on to boil. I looked through the hatch into the living room to see that he had gone.

I made him a new cup of coffee and took it back into the living room. He was back in his chair, staring at the TV screen. I rested the mug on the table and sat back down on the sofa.

Without even looking he picked up his drink and took a sip.

“It’s okay Mia,” he whispered. “I’ll forgive you.”