‹ Prequel: Escapology

The Road

New Friends - Mia's POV

I scanned the dining room to find Kelly. She said that I could sit with her and her friend at lunch. I don’t really see the point in making new friends; I'm only going to be leaving them soon anyway. It was nice of her to offer though, so I'm not on my own.

She spotted me and waved. I shoved my way through what felt like hundreds of people to get to her. People are so obnoxious here; I nearly lost my dinner tray.

I tucked my skirt under my legs and sat down opposite Kelly. A girl about my eight with dark brown hair came over and sat beside her.

“Mia? Right?” she asked. I smiled and nodded.

She picked up a chip and ate if before turning to Kelly and whispering something in her ear. I find it very rude to whisper when you in a group. Kelly’s face lit up and she turned to the other girl with an astonished look on her face, almost as if she didn’t believe what had just been said.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t catch your name,” I said to Kelly’s friend; breaking the uncomfortable, secretive silence.

“Oh sorry, I’m Jenny,” she laughed, eating another chip. “You must think I'm terribly rude for whispering.”

“Well actually…” I started.

“I was just letting Kelly know that rumour she heard was true. Because I know you see. I know everything about everybody,” she winked and smiled an evil smile.

I glared at her. Rumours destroy reputations. I disapprove greatly of rumours. And now I sound like my Aunt Liz.

“Oh, I didn’t tell you!” she giggled and leaned over. “Don’t look, but there’s a girl over there, our grade. Black hair, pink streak in the front. Amy, her name is. Don’t know if you know her.”

I turned and spotted who I guessed must be Amy. Jenny grabbed my shoulder and turned me back round.

“I said don’t look!” she shook her head like Gerard did to me when I left my dishes all over the table the other day. “Well anyway, she's 3 months pregnant. And she doesn’t know who the father is. Slag!”

I smiled nervously. I didn’t want to be a bitch, I don’t know this girl; but I don’t want to be on my own.

For the rest of the hour we ate, made small talk and Kelly and Jenny were gossiping and sharing rumours they’d heard. I couldn’t believe I’d made friends so quickly, even if they were a little bitchy. And they didn’t even know about Gerard.

Or did they?

‘I know everything about everyone.’

Surely not. No way! She can't. I'm the new girl.

“Oh Jen,” Kelly piped up on our way to our next lessons. She rummaged in her bag and produced a silver-and-purple glitter-paper bound notebook with Jenny and Kelly written on the front, in fancy Calligraphy writing.

Jenny must have noticed me looking. “It’s a letter book, its top secret. Our eyes only.”

Kelly passed her the book and she quickly slid it into her bag, smiling.

I hoped that they wouldn’t turn on me. Teenage girls can be extremely bitchy, and I’d learnt from just this lunch hour that Jenny and Kelly definitely fit that stereotype.

But then the bell went for next period.