‹ Prequel: Escapology

The Road

So You Had Fun Then? - Part 1 - Mia's POV

The last two classes were boring. Physics and then Health. Two hours wasted on two things that won’t help me!

Jenny was in my Physics class. She obviously felt the same way about the subject as I do. She spent the whole hour writing in her and Kelly’s book.

On my way out I saw Jenny pass the book to Kelly again and I assumed that this is something they do several times a day.

I thought nothing of it. I’m sure me and Alicia did something similar in Elementary School. We would doodle and write each other little notes and draw hearts and stuff. Quite childish. We probably should have been concentrating in our classes at the time; which is probably why the pair of us nearly got held back a grade.

“Hey Mia,” I heard Kelly yell behind me. She ran over and caught up with me. “Want to come over tomorrow after school? Just the three of us. Face masks, manicures, gossip?”

I thought for a second. “Yeah sure I’ll ask my dad later. He’ll probably say yes though.”

“See you tomorrow then,” she called back, running to catch up with Jenny.

I walked home smiling. Gerard had offered to pick me up but I said he needn’t bother. The school isn’t that far away and I need the exercise anyway. I’m terribly unfit.

Gerard was waiting on the front porch, smoking a cigarette. I smiled and waved as I hurried up the street to him.

“How long does it take you to get home?” he asked, like my father would’ve if he thought I’d took a detour on my way home.

I glanced at my watch. “About 10 minutes. Why?”

“I didn’t think it would take you that long. I thought something had happened on the way home?”

“Did you think I’d fallen over? Or been kidnapped? Or not bothered coming home?” I asked, glaring as if he had been expecting the impossible.

“Something along the lines of… abducted by aliens,” he laughed.
I raised my eyebrows and cut past him through the door. He finished his cigarette and followed me in, leaving the door slightly ajar. The house smelt of burning and I assumed that either Frank or Mikey had been round and Gerard had attempted to cook something a little trickier than a ready meal. I turned to him and shook my head.

“Oi, don’t you shake your head at me! I’m supposed to do that to you,” he laughed. This man is one of the most childish I have ever met.

“I haven’t done anything wrong!”

“Well… go do your homework or something!” he laughed, trying to be parental.

“I’ve got none,” I laughed.

I walked over to the kitchen and poured myself some pineapple juice from the fridge. I took a long refreshing mouthful and then topped it up. I got a textbook out of my bag, a Math one; to revise from for an exam next week.

I picked the juice up in one hand and the textbook and my bag in the other. I turned and opened the door with my back and threw my bag near the sofa; towards Gerard. When it hit his leg he looked up and his eyes followed me.

“Oh… yeah… sorry about that,” I giggled, smiling innocently. “I’m going to revise. Exam on Monday.”

“Okay, but be quiet. I’m gonna phone my brother.”

“Have fun with that!”