‹ Prequel: Escapology

The Road

You're A Secret - Mia's POV

“Mia, your dad’s here,” Jenny’s mum shouted up. “Want me to invite him in?”

That’s the last thing I wanted!

“No, its okay,” I shouted back quickly. “I’m ready to go now!”

I picked up my bag and ran down the stairs; before anyone could realise exactly who it was waiting outside for me. I yelled goodbye as I shut the door behind me; almost colliding into Gerard, who was walking towards the house.

“Am I not coming in?”

“No!” He pulled a face. “Don’t start, just get in the car!”

For once he actually did what I said. We got in and put our seat belts on, but there was an awkward silence as Gerard pulled out of the driveway. He looked at me and then back to the road. He must have sensed that I knew that something was wrong.

“Are you… ashamed of me?” he asked, almost whispering.

“No!” I can't believe he would think that! “You just…”

“No, its okay Mia. I get it!”

“No you don’t!” I pleaded. “I’m not shamed of you! I promise you that! I just… I just don’t want them to know.”

“Mia! Don’t be stupid! Why not?”

“Because I didn’t want them to be my friends because I’m your ‘daughter.’”

“They should like you for who you are!” he tried-and failed-to make me feel better.

“But they’ll like me for you,” he pulled over as tears started to pour down my cheeks. I could tell he was trying to decide if he should give me a hug or not. “I’m not ashamed of you at all! You’re just a secret that’s all! That’s the way it has to be!”

“I don’t see why, but obviously you have your reasons,” he muttered. He started up the car again and drove off; not looking at me.

“I’m so sorry Gerard.”