Wishes Washed Away

sixteen.

The white hot lights glare at me as I'm on the carpet, lightly grasping Edward's waist as we stand together for pictures. I grin into each camera, teeth sparkling, dress shimmering. Tonight, I'm in a plain black silk dress by Chanel that's down to my knees and lime Prada heels and clutch.

Left and right, people say:

"Stunning."

"Beautiful."

"Perfect."

"I know," I reply, grinning into the lenses of the looming paparazzi.

At the movie premiere, I greet other Hollywood starlets and take pictures with them, shaking hands with Brad Pitt, Jennifer Garner, Robert Downey Jr., Megan Fox. People still ask me if I've dated Michael Phelps.

I still say no.

Edward and I get back onto the carpet and allow the paparazzi to snap a few more of us. We continue down to the theatre. "Your tan looks flawless," he says, squeezing my hand. He looks straight ahead as more flash goes off like light grenades. "Do you miss Vegas yet?"

I shrug.

"Not even the friends you made?"

I shrug.

A high-pitched shriek comes from the paparazzi, and a tall blonde emerges from them. "Maggie! It's Keltie, and Ryan, and Brendon!" she shouts, stepping onto the carpet. "Thanks so much for inviting us!"

I smile weakly at her generic gown and her stripper heels. Tonight, she's even taller than Ryan, towering over him like a wilting sunflower.

Brennie and Ryan step onto the carpet in their classic black suits, looking much sharper than I had seen them in Vegas.

"Thanks for the invite," Ryan says as we all head towards the theatre. "Can't wait to watch the movie. The previews looked amazing." Keltie loops her arm around his waist.

Brendon awkwardly stands next to me as Edward lets go of my hand. "I'll see you inside," Edward says, squeezing my hand again and pecking my cheek. "I have to talk to someone."

Brendon takes in a deep breath as Keltie and Ryan slip into the theatre, chatting about how they indirectly met Edward Norton. "For some reason, I get the feeling that you don't really want us here. It was nice of you to invite us though. I mean, I know we're not Hollywood material..."

I push him towards the heavy oak double doors. "Let's get inside before the movie starts. And stop feeling sorry for yourself. It's annoying." I reach for my lip gloss from my bag and smear it back on, checking my mirror to check if I look as flawless as Edward said I did.

"Stop putting shit on your face," he murmurs, grinning.

I grab his hand and drag him into the theatre, sitting down next to Keltie and Ryan towards the back. The lights dim down and the curtain parts, revealing a screen larger than one I'd ever seen. "We're friends, Brendon; does that bother you?" I whisper.

"Yeah. Kinda."

He squeezes my hand.