Heartbeat

Second Impressions

Walking in front of her, James just walked quickly, wanting this weekend to be over quickly. He didn't even have clothes or anything. He just went. He would never tell her that he was a vampire. Never.

As they reached the house, Layla walked in front of him while he stopped dead, a little worried of he father being inside, her tricking him again. Layla noticed this, her shining lips turned into a pout. "What's wrong now?" She asked.

"You sure your dad's not in there?" He asked.

"Yes. He's gone who knows where. I'm not all mean you know." Inside, Layla felt a little hurt that he had accused of her tricking him. She would never. She walked onto the porch, James next to her, waiting impatiently as she reached under the mat for the keys. She unlocked the door and opened it. James walked in slowly, taking in the entire house.

On the right was the dining room with jungle green walls surrounding the entire first floor. Eight seats were arranged and the table was already set, though no food was on any of the plates. In the middle were swirled marble stairs that lead to the second floor. The left was a small sitting area with a couch and a small mini library and from there was the living room. There was a long, white leather couch and the end of it was circular and big, big enough for two people to lay down on it. There was a plasma on the wall. James smirked. She was friggen rich.

As Layla introduced all of this, she walked into the living room and to the right was the kitchen.

The kitchen had wooden cabinets and drawers. The sink was in the middle of the counter, a washing machine under it. The microwave was very modern and the fridge was original. In the middle of the kitchen was a small high table, the oven under it and the pull out trash can next to it. Three high stools were lined along the edge of the table.

"Upstairs..." Layla muttered and lead the way up. There was a hallway, two rooms, one for her parents and one for her. James sighed.

"I already know how your room looks like. I'm guessing that's your dad's room that's the bathrooom though I won't use it that much." He whispered the last part. He'd only go for showers, once he got his clothes. They entered her room and shock filled his head.

EVERYTHING changed.

The bed was on the right corner, a temper pedic that was fit for two people and about eight pillows wer on it. The sheets were a tanish color. It looked very comfy. The dressers were moved to the wall next to it and the closet was in place... but they had painted her walls white. On her dresser was a couple of beanie babies. James rolled his blue eyes and went over to the corner, sitting in it. He looekd around and pretended to sleep. he opened his eyes and nodded. It was comfy for a corner, comfier than his at his house. He placed his bag there and stretched.

"Comfy corner." He said in almost a yawn. Layla pouted.

"I'd rather you not kill yourself and sleep in the corner." She said.

"No it's ok. It's comfy." He said.

"Look... I'd rather you not. At least sleep in my bed." She said carefully.

"With you?" Jame's head snapped up. He conscidered this, not sleeping in a corner. Her dad's bed, not in a million years. He growled softly and nodded once. Layla bit her lip, keep a smile hidden. She sighed and sat on her bed.

"I'll get left over spaghetti. Is that ok?" Layla asked.

"What works." James muttered. Layla left and James sat on her bed. When she came back, she had two plates of it and handed one of them to him. James grimaced. He usually went out to eat. He only ate half until sh finished and took it back and cleaned them. Layla then danced into the room and sat on the bed beside him. James was thirsty. Very thirsty but knew how to control his hunger.

"What do you wanna do?" She asked.

"You're the host." James muttered, standing up.

"You really don't wanna be here. You hate me. I can tell. The least you can do is be nice to me for once." Layla snapped at him. James shrugged. Layla stood up and left the room. James growled and followed her. She was down the stairs and behind the stair wall was a small door that lead downstairs. She went down, James at her heels and went straight to the library, a huge one.

"Wow." James whispered to himself. Thousands of books from every title were on shelves in the dark basement. Layla turned on the lights and skimmed through the books. James looked around until something caught his bang covered eyes. He went to where he saw what he saw and sat down on a polished bench. He turned around. "May I?" He asked. Layla turned to him and she nodded slowly and silently. She walked over to him, sitting next to him.

Jame set his pale hands on the keys and muttered letters and some flats, minors, and sharps then began playing her Black Baldwin Baby Grand Piano.

Layla looked at his fingers, how he moved them so fast she didn't know. She looked at his face, though except his eyes he could see his determined, concetrated face as he played the Titanic Theme Song, My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion.

As he finished, his lips were in a thin line. Layla's mouth was a little open. "Woah." She said. James sighed. "How did you learn how to play that? She asked.

"Six years ago I went to music lessons until my teacher died. She taught me Beethoven's Seventh Symphony, The Entertainer and ... K-534 or somethin' like that. If I looked at them again I could play. Oh and she taught me this song too." He said and paused. Were they having a casual conversation?

For a minute, both did nothing, though literally, James was perfectly still. Layla swallowed and took a deep breath. "My... mom used to play the piano for me when I was little." James looked at her slowly.

"Where is she? She should come here. I kinda wanna meet her since she plays. She seems pretty cool. Will she come home later?" He asked.

"She's dead, James." Layla whispered, looking straight at the piano in front of her. James was tense. How could her mom be dead? He then remembered that he had read her mind once at school and knew she was dead.

"How'd she die?" He asked. "If... you don't mind me asking."

"I don't know. No one knows. One day I was coming home from my thirteenth day of second grade and... she was just dead there on the ground. Me and my dad looked for any injuriess but there was nothing we could find. We took her to the doctors and they said that there was... somehow... no blood at all in her body." Layla's eyes were watery. She sniffled. James was still tense.

"Was there any... two holes on her neck?" He asked sharply. Layla shook her head.

"Dad said he covered her with makeup or whatever and found nothing. He blamed me for her death... I don't get it. One day she's fine and the next... she's gone."

James struck ten keys that were under his fingertips fiercely and kicked the bottom of the piano. He stood up and walked up the stairs. He grabbed his sweater, zipped it up and headed out the door but stopped when Layla was close behind.

"Mm mm. Stay here. I'll be back I promise." He said and slammed the door.

He ran at his vampiric speed to the local graveyard and searched around for Layla's last name. He muttered names as he wallked around and crouched down at a broken tomb stone. He saw a hole in the middle and dirt everywhere. He nodded and ran back.

As he reached her house it was already nine o' clock PM. James took off his sweater and went up stairs. He found Layla curled up into a ball in her sheets.

"You awake?" He wondered. She nodded.

"Maybe we should get to sleep now." She said. James nodded. He plopped on the bed and kicked his sneakers off. He sighed and turned on his side so he would be facing her. "Where did you go?" She asked.

"Out. Fresh air. Nothing much." He said casually. Vampires could lie perfectly with no flaws.

"Oh. You had me worried. I thought you wouldn't come back." She said.

"I won't tell you why it was a great idea that your dad protected you from me." He muttered. He then turned on his back and looked at the ceiling.

It was him. Not really but his body had been the one that bit her mom. At the age of seven, humans who were born from vampires needed practice for the future. His teeth were already at a point at the time. He had bitten Layla's mom. Not really. His dad had possessed him, making him bite her. Now she was out walking as if she was alive, feeding everday. His throat burned. He had forgotten that he hadn't had his meal. He had to have it before midnight or he'd die. His throat burned even more that it almost hurt. Layla scooted more towards him.

"Promise me you won't think I'm insane or anything." James said, turning on his side again and looking at her. His bangs fell to the right and his left eye was visible. Layla looked at it admiringly and nodded. "You're mom is the walking dead at this moment." He said.

"How can that be? That's impossible. She's dead." She said. James growled loudly, scaring Layla a little. he stood up and paced in front of her bed. She stared at him, utterly confused. He banged his head on the wall once and thought. He then turned to her and clapped his hands together.

"Ok. You wanna know why your dad was smart to protect you yesterday?" He asked a little angrily. She nodded. He paced more and stopped again in front of her. "I'M PALE AS A GHOST! i'M FREAKIN' COLD!" He held out a hand so she could feel. She did and snatched her hand away. "I...I..." Hebanged his head on the wall again. "I'm not human." He said.

"No... you're here. You're alive. Right there. Will you come lay with me?" She asked, scared.

James was very thirsty. His fangs shot out from his gums and he turned to her. "LAYLA I AM NOT HUMAN! I AM DEAD!" He hissed at her. She cringed. James banged his head three times on the wall and stood in that position. "Don't get scared. That's the last thing I need."

"No... it's ok. Don't bang your head anymore. Lay by me please." She just wanted him to be safe. She didn't like that he was literally hurting himself.

"Do you wanna have sex with me or something?" He wondered briefly.

"No... just stop and come here. You're scaring me. And... I kind of... like you."" She whispered.

"Maybe I like you too." James said. "You know I'm not looking at your face right now, right?" He asked. It was true. Though she couldn't see his eyes, he was looking at her neck and admired how her heart was beating very quickly. His mouth watered and he swallowed. "I'm so thirsty." He said. "Ok... I'll just sleep in your dad's bed. I can't be in the same room with you, ok?" He grabbed his bag and zoomed out of her room and went into his dad's room. Layla knocked on the door.

"James please come back! I'm afraid of the dark!" She yelled.

"Well keep the light on. Duh." He yelled back.

"James just go out and eat and come back here. Or make me a vampire. Bite me!" She said. He opened the door and shook his head. "I'll go out then." He left quickly and came back as soon as he left. He wped his lips with his sleeve and went back to her room.

"So you like me too, right? That's why you said what you said, right?" She asked as she followed him. He laid down again and kicked off his shoes. He slipped into the sheets and she was in the sheets as well. She scooted closer to him.

"Just brightening the mood." He said. He could see her better since he was on his side, hsi bangs fell to the lfet because of gravity and his left eye was visible. He saw clearer now and saw her. He even closened to her a little.

Layla yawned and looked into his eye. James looked at hers, too. Not sure why in the hell he just couldn't stop looking either. He then scooted closer that their noses were centimeters apart. He could hear her heart beating quicker as he closened even more. He just did it to hear the music of a human's heartbeat and his lips were on hers. His eyes widened in amazement at how delicious she tasted and hers closed. He could tell she was nervous. Why wouldn't she be? She's kissing a vampire.

His eyes slowly closed as well and hiarms wrapped around her waist but he let go of her and stopped the kiss and stared at the ceiling again.

"Sorry." He muttered.

"It's... ok." She said.

"No... it's not. I've only kissed a girl once and I ended up killing her. She tasted so delicious... less than you which is why I was scared of killing you." He said. "I... wanted more."

Layla lifted a leg over his body so she was on top of him. He closed his eyes ad sighed.

"This is stupid." He muttered. She pouted and he smirked. He turned over so he was on top of her. "Now it's not so stupid." He said.

"You're so sexist." She murmured.

"You're so pretty." He said. His bangs fell from his eyes again since he was on her. Both of his blue eyes were exposed. Layla smiled at this. He growled. "Way too hot." He said and took off his shirt. Layla's eyes were on his exposed chest. He kissed her deeply then rolled off of her and was on his side again. She went very close to him and admired his chest. She felt it, his eyes on her. She had a very small craving all of a sudden. "Night." He said and turned off the light.

He was pale so you could see him perfectly. Layla hugged him and laid on his chest, sleeping. He held her protectively, not sleeping at all but watched her sleep instead.
♠ ♠ ♠
LONG CHAPTER! PLEASE COMMENT!