Heartbeat

Pale to Tan

Layla slowly rose up from James's chest and smiled as she saw him sleeping, though this movement made him wake. James looked out her window and hissed, covering himself with the sheets. "Way to bright." He said.

"I'm sorry. I forgot to close the curtains last night." She said and shut them quickly.

"You know my dad is so mean." He said out od the blue. Layla sat at his feet, listening. "I wish he died. But the only way he can is... by someone or something and he has a cure for it. I intend to find out because he just kills happily. I hate it."

"Is he your biological dad?" James nodded. Layla mouthed "woah" and let it go.

They both went downstairs. "You didn't kiss me good morning, you know." James took a piece of toast she threw at him.

"And why would I?" He asked.

Layla looked broken. James bit off another peice of toast and looked at her. He stared at her and groaned.

"Layla... uh... we're not like... dating or anything, you know that, right?" Layla nodded slowly, making scrambled eggs for her.

"Well I'm not gonna kiss you until you kiss me." Layla said.

"Oooh how will I go on?" James said sarcastically. Layla whimpered. Last night was just a once in a lifetime thing. "I'm not going to kiss you only to protect you, got it?" He said. Layla smiled. To protect her from himself?

"Ok. I'm sorry. You were my first kiss and I totally freaked, you know?" James dropped his toast on the floor and stared at her.

"How do you not have a kiss before me? I mean you're pretty and stuff...." He said. Layla went over to him and hugged him. He hesitated but hugged her back. He burried his head against her shoulder, very aware that her neck was reachable for him. He took ann unnesccesary deep breath, to calm himself.

"No one's ever said that to me before." She whispered, now knowing that he heard. She sniffled and he felt two wet drops on his sweater. He smiled a crooked smile and really wanted to kiss her now but knew he couldn't.

"Do you mind if I leave for a bit? I need clothes." Layla laughed.

"Yeah. Ok. But the sun..."

"I'll just speed home and get clothes..." James said. "That's gonna be hard. But I'll be back, ok?" He said and zoomed off. Layla smiled. She liked a vampire. What were the odds?

The sun burned against James's pale skin. He just kept running towards his house, trying to block out the pain...

He wrenched open the door and found his brother on the couch. His mom was in the kitchen. He rolled his eyes at both of them and went upstairs. He grabbed a suitcase and packed cothes and even his iPod (vampires loved rock music) and his laptop and then stopped as his dad opened the door. James snapped his head up and gulped.

"Sit." His dad commanded.James unwillingly laid on his bed. His dad sat at his feet. "Kill her." He said. James growled. His dad took off his shoes and socks. "Or I will do worse to the both of you." He placed his hand on his foot and it turned gray. James jolted and his lips formed into a thin line to keep from screaming. He'd take the sun right now.

His dad let go and James quickly put his sock and soe back on. He took his suitcase and ran for it.

Layla was watching tv, wondering when he'd get back though she recieved her answer when he burst through her door. Layla stood up and when she saw him her mouth was open.

James had gotten a tan and looked just as hispanic as she did. "Shut up." He said and sighed.

"What happened?"

"Sun. My entire body is tan. I look like where your mom dad came from." He said and yawned. "It hursts. We should rest because I just read that you wanted to go to a restaurant." Layla blushed a little. They went up stairs and he plopped on the bed. He hissed as his ankle burned. He clutched it and Layla sighed. "GAH!"

"I won't kiss it until you kiss me, you know that, right?" Layla teased. He thrusted a pillow at her.

James let go of his ankle and was on top of her in less than a second. He kissed her gently and felt very, very relaxed. Why did he feel relaxed at all, he wondered. Layla kissed him back and her hands found the back of his head and she burried her hands into his hair.

He then pulled away and looked pleadingly at her. Layla giggled. He was on his back again and she lightly kissed his ankle. He then scrunched up his eye brows and looked at his ankle.

It was pale again, his entire under body was white. "Ehh..." He said and jumped out of the bed. He took other clothes that he brought and went to the bathroom. He took og his pants and looked at his legs and hips. "Ok...?" He wondered and went for a shower.

When he came back, James only had his pants on, his chest exposed. Layla looked at him and couldn't help smiling.

"Do me a favor... kinda weird favor." He said. "Kiss my chest so I can have my normal skin tone again." He was on the bed again next to her. Layla hesitated but her lips were on his chest quickly.

They stayed like that for a very long time.