Heartbeat

New Life

Layla looked up at James. She smiled at him. They both looked at the clock. 5:00 PM. They groaned and sat up. Layla stretched because she had those human needs after a sleep. James put his shirt and sweater on and was as still as a statue. He listened tentavely and looked at the door.

"Someone's at the door." He muttered. Layla smiled and opened her bedroom door, walked down stairs and James quickly ran behind her. She opened it and James was in front of her protectively.

"Ohhh. The daughter?" The dark figure said. He wore all black and was completely pale. James wondered how he could still be pale with the sun out.

'Shut up." James said.

"I'll give you ten seconds to kill her or I'll do it myself. It's part of your training, anyways." Layla was too shocked to speak, James knew his dad was counting in his head. James looked around and thought to himself quickly, wondering what to do to leave. Dad counted fast and James reached behind for Layla's hand.

It happened so quickly that everything was a blur. James took her hand and grabbed her so she was on his back and ran in his inhuman speed to the kitchen, dodged his dad's hungry teeth from her and was outside quickly.

James didn't care about how hot it was that he was maybe burning. He would protect her and never let anything happen to her. He ran quickly and climbed up a tree and perched on a branch. Layla sat on the branch too, next to him. He had turned tan again but he didn't care. He stared down and shhushed Layla.

"Don't breathe." He whispered to her and kissed her softly. "He can smell you breathing which is kind of weird but he can so don't breathe." He said. Layla nodded, took a deep breath and held it.

James was down on the ground and paced. "James..." He said. He used this voice when he was really going to get hurt by him or something. It scared him. "Oh James..." Deep and threatening. James looked back at Layla and caught her, She had fainted and nearly fell off the branch. He silently climbed down the tree trunk side that wasn't facing his dad and they took off.

It may have looked suspicious that James had an unconscious girl on his back that he had to hold so she wouldn't fall. He didn't even know where they were headed but they were not in town anymore, they were sure of that. He saw a hotel and walked into it, ordered a room and set Layla down on the bed. He couldn't do CPR on her since he couldn't give her any air as much as he tried. He bit his lip. No. He couldn't. He kicked the wooden dresser. Well he didn't have dinner today and she was unconscious. He was on top of her, his arms bearing his weight.

He secretly craved for her blood every second of everyday and felt extremely guilty of getting it. His canine teeth grew longer and sharper than a knife. He growled softly and bent down to her neck. He bit down, piercing her soft skin and felt her blood rush through his mouth. It was so warm and it made him feel very happy though he still was drinking from her. Why did it take so long for her?

When the last blood cell had left her body, James felt like crying and looked at the clock. He had drunk from her for one entire hour. This confused him but he was perched on the bar of the bed and waited for her.

She screamed.

"God, Layla shut up!" He said and she did. She sat up. James noticed a little bit of difference in her. She was pale, like him and her heart was silent. He missed it beating because it was a sign she was alive. She moved, yeah but she wasn't alive. "Uh... Layla... you fainted and..." He began.

"Yeah?" She asked.

"I uh... see... saved you but... I couldn't do CPR on you so..." He looked around and hummed. Layla's mouth opened in horror and she went to the mirror in the bathroom.

"Y-y-you..." She stuttered.

"So you could... move." He couldn't really say live since she wasn't going to live.

"Mirar que mi isistes!" She yelled in Spanish. James knew exactly what she did.

"I saved you and I think you shoould say thanks." He said. "Come here." He said. Layla sat down on the bed. "Open your mouth." He demanded. She did. Her canine teeth were normal, like a human's. James reached all the way to the back of the top of her mouth and pushed forward. Layla screamed again. He pushed her long fangs to grow. They were three inches long. He also heard her flesh break as the fangs broke through. He did the same to the other one and she screamed. "Ok. Now close your mouth very, very slowly." He said and she did. Her flesh teared as the fangs broke into her mouth. She whimpered.

"Oww... That hurt!" She said.

"If I didn't do that and you teethed normally, it would have been a hundred times worse. I know because my dad is an ass." Layla's fangs shrunk and she laughed.

"Someone's at the door." Layla said. James nodded, already knowing who and he opened it, his hands on his hips and he looked. Layla was shocked and happy at the same time.

"Vampires can communicate mentally." James said. "Did I tell you that I've been keeping in contact with your mom since yesterday?"