Assassin's Revenge

Chapter 2 Bad Weather

Bad Weather

Eyes shot open and a hooded man sat up against a wall in the clock tower. He sat and stared into the open.
“Tch, stupid dream...always happens before a hit.” His voice was deep but gentle.

The man leaned forward and placed a hand on the ground and pushed himself up fast yet elegantly.

He stood up straight and pulled his white cloak straight. He was short and thin, yet sturdy looking and was light on his feet. As he stood there he was like a mountain: nothing, not even the wind, could move him. His crystal blue eyes that were sharp like an eagles stared off into the horizon as if he were in a distant place.

He took a few silent steps forward to the edge of the clock tower and stared at the sky. It was a darkened gray with a hint of black. A brilliant flash of white light filled the night sky and the city below, followed by the raging thunder. It rattled the bell and windows in the tower yet the man remained unaffected, as if he wasn't there.

The man continued to stare at the sky, little droplets of water slowly started to fall. The man retreated into the clock tower as the rain got heavier.

The man stood next to the bell waiting. After a few minutes of heavy rain, lightning and thunder, the bell started to move; as it did time seemed to have slowed down.

Bell rings!

Time started moving again. In a flash of lightning the man was standing tall like a statue in the raging wind and rain. In the distance horses hooves could be heard faintly clapping against the cobble roads. The man grinned “Perfect” and with another flash of lightning he was gone.

***

The general got up from saying his prayers to the Angelic Lord Zadkiel. He started walking towards the confessional stand. He stopped at the door and took a deep breath. He grabbed the golden handle and stepped inside.

The general sat on the chair.
“Forgive me father for I have sinned.”

“Yes child, go on” said a man from the other side

“It has been almost a week since it happened”, he paused for a few seconds.
“I haven't had the time to come here because of my duties. We were ordered to strike down a couple of merchants who were thought to be smuggling people into our city. We all carried out our duty without question, we slaughtered everyone we found in the name of our Lord. We burnt the house down leaving no survivors. I heard some banging coming from inside and we discovered a little girl inside...we left her to die as we were told.” He paused again to recollect himself.
"The next day we discovered that it was a mistake. False information was leaked to our lord. Our Lord then told us that they have moved on to visit our God Zadkiel. I wish to repay for my sins however I can.”

“My child this is a dreadful sin indeed, but do not fear for Zadkiel has forgiven you.”

“Thank you father, Thank you very m...”

“But I will not forgive you!”

A short slender blade pierced into the generals chest in an instant and withdrew just as quickly. The general screamed in pain as he realized what happened. He frantically kicked down the door to the confessional stand and ran out clutching his side. He leaned up against the church pedestal to catch his breath and his wits. A long and slow creaking sound came from behind as the other door slowly swung open.

The general's head shot to look at the door to see who was there. He saw a short and thin hooded man standing in a white cloak wiping the blood off of his short black blade.

The assassin slowly slid his sword into its sheath underneath his cloak with ease, and starts to walk slowly towards the cowering, general his footsteps echoing in the colossal cathedral.

As the Assassin slowly came towards him the general looked from left to right and saw the grand doors that he walked in from. He pushed himself from the pedestal to try and make a run for it. After a few steps the general's vision started to become blurred and he stumbled and fell as his legs failed to recover him.

As the general fell, the assassin came behind him, grabbed him and slowly lowered him to the ground and turned him so they were face to face. The general looked into the assassins face for a few seconds and his eyes widened in fear as he realized who his tormentor was.
“Enigma, It's Enigma!” he shouted as loud as he could, but his voice was masked by the heavy rain and thunder... no one came.

The general looked at Enigma as his eyes slowly glazed over and drained of life. He hesitantly lifted up his hand shakily towards the assassin's hood to see his killer better, but lost all strength and passed on. The assassin slid his hand over the mans eyes to close them and lay the man down on the ground in his own pool of blood.

Enigma stood up and faced the grand doors of the cathedral. He slowly opened one of the cathedral doors and a cold howling wind rushed in, blowing out all forms of light allowing total darkness to take over the cathedral as he stood for a while longer.

A flash of lightning lit up the whole cathedral and revealed the scene and a voice echoed inside Enigmas head “... you will not succeed as an assassin if you allow your targets to see your face!...”

Another flash of lightning lit up the room again and Enigma was gone.