I Could Always Make You Smile

From One Boy To Two

I plopped down across from Selene, a look of sloth written on my face. She gave me a questioning look as I banged my head against the antique table. This was just not my day.

“Malia, what’s going on?”

“I blame you and I will always blame you for this day. You know why, because I will always remember it. It’s the worst day of my academic career and it’s all because of you.” I muttered miserably.

“And why is that?”

I slowly propped my head up to glare at her. “You had the lamp lit all bloody night long, which for me equals no sleep. And do you want to know why-of course you do-because I need complete darkness to sleep.” I explained.

“Is that the reason for the pigtails?” I clutched onto my two braids and shook my head. “I can explain if it makes any of this better.”

“Selene, nothing about this day will ever get better. I couldn’t pay attention because I was daydreaming in class.”

“Oh really, what about?”

“Sleep!” I snapped. She slightly cowered away. Closing my eyes, I took a couple deep breaths.

“Is everything okay over here?” My eyes shot open and I could feel my nerves perk up. I turned to face Dean Thomas. “Hello there Malia, Selene.”

“Hey Dean.”

“Hi.” He took a seat next to me and smiled. “Dean, don’t you usually sit at the Gryffindor table with the rest of your house?”

“Yeah, but I figured I’d sit with you girls today, is that okay?”

I opened my mouth to speak. “Think again mudblood.” I looked up to see Blaise standing tall behind him, his arms crossed over his chest. “Why don’t you go sit with your own kind?” I think I’m beginning to see the vain side of him.

Dean twisted around. “I think I’ll leave that for Malia to decide.”

“We know her pretty well.” Draco defended. “Run along now.”

Dean turned to me and sighed. “Malia…”

I bit my lip, giving Blaise’s glaring form another look over. “Dean, I’ll have to have lunch with you some other time, I’m sorry.”

“Oh no, its fine. How does tomorrow sound?”

“But tomorrow is Saturday.”

He smirked. “I know.” With that he got up and scurried off to his table. I was left slightly impressed. Did Dean really like me; I thought Selene was just fooling.

“You don’t really like the git, do you Malia?” Draco’s voice rang in my ear as him and Blaise took their seats.

I snapped out of my thoughts, sort of dazed. “I think someone has another crush…” Selene sang.

I glared at her. Another? “No I don’t, Dean Thomas is only an acquaintance.”

“But could you see yourself dating him?” I looked over to Blaise. He seemed…hopeful that I would say no. I shook my head.

“No, I don’t see Dean in that way. I hardly even know him.” Shaking his head slightly he looked away. “Can we change the subject?” Blaise remained quiet for the rest of lunch.