The Clairvoyant Infection

Prologue/Chapter 1

Omg. Where is the bloody ginger?! Is it down that hallway, or should I turn to the right instead?
I looked up at the notice that was hanging down for each section.

"Milk and dairy products." I murmured to myself.

Wrong one.

I quickly swerve to the right, to my relief, and saw a packet of ginger waiting for me on the shelf.

Beads of perspiration as my heart shivered with fear. My fingers tremble as I fumbly tried to search for the list through the garbage in my guchi bag. I finally felt the papery texture of the list and snapped it out.

"Okay, I am left with shallots, baking powder... and wedding card." My fingers slowly trace down the list, making sure I didn't miss anything else. I bit my lips, as a baby kicked inside me.

My eyes dart to the left and right, as I try to shave off time to search for the things I needed. I knew I cannot be late for my meeting with my boyfriend. I just cannot disappoint him, such a poor guy. He have been putting up with me for the past few years, and I have learned the consequences of being late. Well, how could I blame him? I am the careless one, the one that always make him late for his shows so he usually gets angry. He could be a little dangerous at times, but it isn't too bad. Just a few bruises here and there.

As I was about to run to the counter, something shiny caught my eyes. A mirror.

My heart sank as my fingers slowly traced the bumpy edges of my bruise on my left eye. Just touching the bruise sting, and soon watery drops collected in my eyes. I wipe it away, quickly grabbed all that I needed and dashed to the counter.

"Nasty bruise you got there mam." The cashier said, matter-of-factly.
"How much is it?" I glared at him, signalling that I wanted to change the topic.
"Oh, it would be $10"
I flipped open my wallet and took out a single 10 dollar note.
The cashier eyed me curiously and took the money from my hand. Before I could take my things and exit the shop, he held my hand. I wanted to jerk my hand away but something about his gentleness made me stop and look at him.

"Mam, take this. I usually use it on my own bruises and it really works wonders. Take it as a gift. And I have a spare one myself, so yeah."
"Oh, thanks." i looked at him, flustered. His lips curved into a smile as I realise how stunning he was. I felt my face grew hot, and quickly looked down.
"So, what's your name?"
"Oh, of course. Gerard. And you?"
"Felicia."
"Felicia, such a beautiful name.
A cashier, I wonder how such a handsome, nice man could land on a mediocre job like that. He could really profit in the model business.

I grabbed the plastic bags and with quick, light steps, I went out of the supermarket. I boarded the taxi and soon was on my way to my boyfriend.

"Mr, what time is it now?" I whispered to the taxi driver.
"3:45 pm. Are you in a hurry?" He eyed me.
"Oh erm, yes. Can you speed up a little?" I pleaded.
He gave me a glance and signalled me to look to my right.

And there, on my right, a blue metal car with a blue uniformed man in it. I bit my lips.

Darn, I could get caught.

"I am not asking much, just a little?"
He eyed me again and nodded. He must have sympathised with me, considering the fact that I have a swelling, throbbing bruise on my eyes. Or maybe because I was bearing another life inside me.

After few agonizing moments and narrow escapes from accidents and the police, I reached my destination.
"Hello baby! I've got what you need them!"

"You are such a useless woman. "
"Sorry, Joseph. heres the groceries. What do you need them for?"
"I don't want them anymore. You can keep it."
"B-but, I bought this-"
"Bitch, I have been waiting to tell you something. Been waiting for too long."
"Wha..t?"
"I won't repeat this you know. Listen carefully. We. Are. Over."
The bags of groceries slipped from my fingers.
"You heard it right."
An awkward laugh escaped my lips
"No, you're kidding right? I mean, we already have a baby and-"
"Look at this ring. Look at it." He raised his hand right up to my face.

Then he held up my hands.

"Look at your hand. Do you have a ring?"
"You mean.."
"Yes, engaged. I am engaged to Miss Parleo."
"Miss Parleo?! "
"Yes, your long time enemy in high school. She's rich, she's got the hots. So, why not?"
"You piece of shit!" My anger burst after all the years of abuse as I lunged at him.

Abuse, wow, it finally dawned on me. He had been using me all this while and now throwing me away like a used piece of tissue. And I thought he had loved me.

A thunderous slap landed on my cheeks and drops of blood landed on the ground. My head spun for a while and the sting rung through my head , as I try to regain my balance.
He grabbed my throat with one hand, forcing me to look at him.
"Don't you ever try to hit me. And stay out of my life. I am starting a new life."
Some of his spit landed on my face as he threw me down.

My bum landed on the floor, as a surge of pain rushed through my whole body. My eyes were burning in tears. I blinked a few times to clear my vision. Blurry visions of him getting into the car and the distant sound of a car being driven away. I blinked again and take in a deep breath. The giddyness subsided.

I tried to stand but somehow the sight of blood seeping down my skirt stopped me in my tracks.

"Someone.. Please.. help me! I can't stand up."
I tried to push myself up but my stomach felt as if it was teared into two. I looked around, trying to find someone who would walked along the pavement, but none. No one was around at all. He had left me alone.

"Miss, look out!" A familiar voice emerged out of the blue.
I turnt to my right. The sharp, blinding lights is getting larger by the second

"Oh godd.."
---------------------------------
The sound of metal clanked against her ribs. She was sent hurling towards a lamp post and with a thud, land back down on the road, on her bulged stomach. Surrounding her was the groceries that she had just bought, smothered with blood.

She couldn't move her arms, she couldn't move anything.

Just a thought ran through her head.

My baby...
----------------------------