Whisper Sweet Nothings and Promise Me Love

Three

Tired and alone, she walked the long journey home, not relishing in the fact that she had two days off from work. She hated days off. She hated them with a passion.

Over the next two days, Lexie did not leave the house except for groceries from the store on the end of her block of flats. She stayed sitting upright on her sofa and had the TV on, but wasn't even watching it. This was Lexie all over, this was her. Once a social butterfly, now a social ghost, not even interested in trivial pursuits such as game shows and soap operas. She much preferred to be inside her head, dreaming of a life she could have had.

Don't get her wrong though, she wanted a social life, she desperately craved one. But her mind made her believe everyone knew about her and John, everyone thought she was a dirty whore for it, and worst of all, everyone was laughing at her for him leaving her.

This is stupid, she told herself on her 'strong' days, 'I've moved state, moved city's, how the hell could all that follow me here?' But she was convinced it had.
This is why Roxanne Lexington was so utterly afraid in the fact that she was so abnormal.

Sometimes she allowed herself to wander pitfully over to her window that over look her busy street full of dive bars and trashy stores. She would watch the young girls, no older than she was, giggling their way into the bars and she would scold herself. 'See Lexie, they aren't little sluts who sleep with 30 year olds' Such behaviour is truly damaging to one's mind.

***

When she returned to work after her two torturous days off, she hid all the pain well and smiled and replied that she did enjoy the days off when her boss asked her.

She worked hard, worked her fingers to the bone, until Peter Wentz walked back into the diner and smiled at her – no make that beamed at her.
She tried to smile back but felt her face was frozen, her customer who she was serving was left wondering what had happened to the poor girl. Yet Lexie couldn't do anything but watch as he took a seat.

“Hello?” The woman she was serving waved a hand in front of Lexie's face. Her face started to heat up instantly and she knew she was bright red with embarrassment.

“Sorry. What was it?” Her eyes jumped back to the woman yet out of the corner of her eyes she saw Pete looking at her. She carried on taking the order and then breathed deeply, trying to get the confidence up to go and serve Peter Lewis Kingston Wentz, the third.

She was saved though, although maybe she wouldn't have described it as being saved. Danielle was the most flirty girl you could possibly ever wish not to met. One of the girls who fitted every plastic stereotype ever invented – she was slim with massive boobs, long perfectly straight blonde hair, flawless tanned skin, blue eyes and stunning. What's more, she absolutely knew she was stunning and she used it to her advantage every time she could. She is an absolute stereotype – spoilt little rich girl, only working to prove to her over-protective hard working father that she can be independent and as hard working as he is. Lexie could not help but stare as Danielle made her way over to Peter, sat at his usual booth.

“Hi there honey, and what can we get you today?” She stood perfectly and cutely poised, acting all innocent and sweet. Pete just plainly smiled at her.
It made Lexie's stomach turn, and she had to force herself to avert her eyes and turn and act civilly when that spoilt little bitch Danielle came back over to place Peter's order.

“Oh my god, Lexie, how amazingly HOT is he?” Danielle squealed quietly, rather excited and grinning broadly at Lexie.

“He's okay, I guess.” Lexie agreed politely.

“Okay? My god, he's perfection on Earth! And he was totally checking me out, did you see? He wanted me.” Danielle smiled smugly and it made Lexie's blood boil. Lexie forced her smile, and glanced over at Pete, who in turn was looking at both of the girls.

“Maybe you should ask him out.” Lexie shrugged, turning around to the serving hatch from the kitchen as a table's order was up.

“Oh god no. One, I have never asked a guy out, and two, he's not boyfriend material, but he is fuck buddy material.” Danielle giggled, and winked at Lexie, unable to see Lexie's throat involuntarily bringing up a little bile as the thought ran over in her head. 'Fuck buddy material.'

Lexie smiled weakly back at her and picked up the order. She carried it away to the table next to Pete's. She avoided all eye contact with him, she avoided every little single time he tried to catch her attention as she walked back to the counter.

“Lexie.” A voice called out. She turned around and saw him leaning against the counter.

“What?” She asked, her voice as emotionless as she could make it.

“I said I wanted to see you again.” He smiled, softly, his voice betraying his nerves. She shrugged.

“I don't know.” Danielle was watching from the till, hand on hip. She swished her way over.

“If Lexie doesn't want you, I'll have you.” She leant over the counter flirtatiously. Lexie rolled her eyes.

“There, you got a better offer.” She walked to the till, leaving Danielle and Pete flirt over the counter as she served more customers and took their food over to them. It turned her stomach to her Danielle laugh and giggle with Pete and his voice thick with lust for her. The fact is, Lexie knew, Danielle would give it up to Pete in a split second, and the whole damn diner knew it – Peter especially knew it and was loving it. After all, what boy would want to work at a relationship with the possibility of sex when in fact they could have it no strings attached in a minute?

“Why didn't you tell me there was something going on between you two?” Danielle asked Lexie, later in their shift after Peter had left.

“Because it was nothing special. It was a rubbish half hour date which he ran out on. No big deal.” She shrugged, trying to play it cool and be subtle. “So are you going to see him?” Danielle shook her head.

“No, all that flirting for nothing, he's hooked on you.” Lexie's heart soared.

'He's hooked on you.'
♠ ♠ ♠
=)