But... What About the Band?

Chapter 1

Brendon's POV

“We're leaving the band.”

“What!?” I yelled, surprised, shocked, at a lost for words, and anything else that describes the feeling known as flabbergasted. Jon and Ryan, the bassist and songwriter/backup singer/guitarist of Panic at the Disco, were announcing, quite suddenly, that they were leaving.

“Why?” asked Spencer, our drummer and Ryan's best friend since childhood. He was amazingly calm, but what can you expect from him?

“We're getting married.” said a glowing Jon.

“You're gay?!” I exclaimed, my eyes halfway popping out of my head. “I mean, I've got no problem with it but it would've been good to, ya know, know. I'm your FRIEND.”

My face must have been tied into an expression of surprise, anger, and confusion because the other ¾'s of Panic broke out into a fit of laughter. In other words, they were laughing their asses off.

“I'm marrying Keltie, dude,” said Ryan, who was also glowing in that special way. “She's pregnant and wants to move to the country to raise our kid.”

It was now Spencer's turn to be, the word of the day, flabbergasted.

“You're gonna be a dad!!?” he yelped. “and you didn't tell me? I'm your best friend, man...how far along is she?”

“3 months.” said a smiling Ryan. Gosh, I'd never seen Ryan smile so much in my life.

“That's really, really unforgivable, man.” said Spencer, shaking his head. He looked up, smiled, and gave Ryan one of those big, lovable hugs that only Spencer can give.

“What’s your excuse, Jon?” I asked, my eyes rolling in my head. “Is Cassie preggo, too? Are you gonna be a daddy?” The sarcasm in my words was evident and heavily exaggerated.

Jon laughed. “No, but Cassie and I are getting married and we want to settle down.” Jon paused. “I'm getting old!”

“You're 23.” I said, one eyebrow raised. “It's impossible for you to consider yourself 'old'.”

“What about the band?” asked Spencer. “We can't be a two-person bad!”

He was right...I'm just a lead singer and he's just the drummer.

“Well, um...” stuttered Ryan, looking a bit nervous about the remark he was about to make. “We've, uh, decided to, uh, put ou-our wives abo-above the...band.” The last word was a huge blow to Spencer and I.

“We don't want to be selfish or anything bu-”

“BUT WHAT!?!” Spencer yelled, his face looking tense and his fists' balled. “How can you look at this situation and think it's fair, damnit?!! How the hell is it not selfish to leave your friends, your fucking band mates, and not to mention not even tell them of your plans. How is it NOT selfish to go off to the country with some bitch and leave your band hanging?”

At this, Ryan lunged at Spencer, knocking him to the ground. Ryan was pinning Spencer down.

“Don't you ever call Keltie a bitch!” yelled Ryan.

“Maybe she's not a bitch, but you're her bitch!” spat Spencer.

“Son of a bitch!” yelled Ryan.

By this time, they were in a full-fledged brawl. Spencer was punching and pinning, Ryan was grabbing and biting. It was obvious that Spencer would win so Jon and I started to pull Spencer off of Ryan before he got badly beat.

“Stop it! NOW!” boomed Jon.

We had finally gotten Spencer off of Ryan.

“I'm mad at you and you,” I said, pointing to Ryan and Jon. “But this brawl was so high school.”

“I'm never speaking to you again!” Ryan yelled at Spencer as Spencer and I were exiting the studio.

“Fine by me!” Spencer yelled back at Ryan. He then turned around. “And I still kicked your ass!”

When we got to my car, Spencer called his girlfriend, Hayley. Hayley was a pretty girl with ferocious hair that was colored yellow and red and orange...was it even that color anymore? The chick was forever changing her hair color.

“Hayley,” said Spencer into the phone. He didn't sound angry anymore; he sounded bummed and depressed. “We're breaking up.” I heard Hayley start yelling into the phone.

“No, me and the guys.” Spencer explained. “The band...we're over....yeah, I'll see you when we get there...Brendon's driving me...okay...bye.”

He hung up the phone and slouched in the seat. For the first time since Jon had told us they he and Ryan were leaving, it was actually sinking in. We were never going to do a show again. We weren't going to do anymore recording sessions. We weren't going to hang out anymore. We were never going to do anymore meet and greets. We didn't have jobs anymore. We didn't have a band anymore. We were just two guys, unemployed, without our best friends who we thought would be with for life. I didn't start the car. We sat in silence for a good 15 minutes.

“It's not fucking fair!” I yelled, banging my fists on the steering wheel, a tear escaping my eye. “After all we've been through together and they just want to leave us hanging like that, man! They can't do that!” I had started up the car and I was driving...fast. I let down my window. Tears were falling down my cheeks faster than the wind could dry them. Spencer didn't say a word.

I stopped in front of Haley's apartment to let Spencer out.

“You can come inside if you want.” That was just the invitation I needed. I had nobody that I could go spill my feelings out to. I didn't have a girlfriend. Spencer was my best friend (who was going to his girlfriend). My family lived about an hour away. I just didn't want to be alone.

Hayley lived on the second floor of the apartment complex. Her place was small but very cozy and was decorated with and orange and green theme. She was always changing her theme, which to me seemed like it would be stressful. Last season the theme was neon pink and black.

“Hey baby,” said Hayley as she greeted Spencer and pecked him on the lips.

“What’s up, Brendon?” I gave her a hug and we all sat on her couch, which was colored a peculiar green.

“So why did you all break up?” asked a genuinely concerned Haley.

“They're getting married and settling down.” I said with a long face.

“To each other?!”

“No, no, to their girlfriend's, and Keltie's preggo.”

Her hazel eyes widened. “Surprise, surprise.”

Spencer got up, suddenly. “I'm gonna go to the bathroom.” He slouched off.

“He got into a fight with Ryan.”

“Not a physical fight?”

“Yeah...”

“Oh God...”

“Yep, Ryan's got a black eye.”

“So they just decided to up and leave?”

“Yep.”

“That's so fucked up.”

“Tell me about it.”

“He's taking a long time.”

I went to the door and knocked. I thought I heard whimpering and I was right; Spencer was crying in the bathroom.

“Hayley...he's crying.” She walked over to the door.

“Baby, it's me.” she said into the door. “Open the door for me, will ya?” The door unlocked.

The duo stayed in the bathroom with the door cracked for half an hour. Spencer's head was in Hayley's lap and she was comforting him.

I was sitting on her peculiar green couch. Alone. In all that had happened that day, I felt kind of jealous of their relationship. They had each other to hold and I had no one. I told myself not to be jealous but I couldn't help it.

When they finally came out of the bathroom, Hayley had a faint smile on her face.

“How would you like to come to California with me and Spencer?” asked Hayley, her smile gradually widening, showing off her gap. “I've got some girlfriends there. Khadijah, Asia, and Vivienne. College girls, but they've got apartments and we can stay with them.”

“Count me in...just get me out of Nevada.” I said nonchalantly.

“Did I mention that one of them is single?”
She seemed to have a sensor for these types of things. I started to smile to.

“You guys go pack your stuff and be back at my place by 5 o' clock so that we can get on the road.” said Hayley. “I don't know how long we'll be gone but it's summertime and who cares...so just pack everything.”

“Fine by me.”

As Spencer and I walked out of her apartment, I patted his shoulder.

“You've got a great girl.”

“I know.” He smiled for the first time since that dreadful news.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! I procrastinated for forever on this story!
(Not as much as I've procrastinated before but whatever)
Well read it and know that M I K E Y is writing the next chapter, so look out for it!
I'm proud of this chapter and whatnot so...okay!
Thanks for reading and don't forget to comment!
Comments are much appreciated :3 Peace!!
- Brailey (or Khadijah)