But... What About the Band?

Chapter 3

Hayley's POV

“Brendon!” I yelled. “Stop multi-tasking!”

Brendon was driving while singing, dancing, trying to switch CD's, and sticking his hands into the bag of regular Chex Mix.

“Dude.” Spencer grabbed Brendon's arm before it could successfully reach into the chip bag. “If you wanna run us off the road. Keep doing THIS.” He imitated Brendon's various actions in an overtly-animated way.

I snickered at my boyfriend. Brendon, Spencer, and I were on our way to Los Angeles, California. We were less than 2 hours away and Brendon was already in hyper-mode. I was just glad to see the guys happy after all that had happened that day. Their band had broken up, rather suddenly, and we had decided to take a trip to the Sunshine State. It was a pretty random idea. They were all sulky and depressed and what better of an idea than to get away from Las Vegas, where all their problems could taunt them?

“Hayley!” Brendon sung. He turned around, taking his eyes of the road. The car slightly swerved. “What's that chick's address?”

“Drive!” Spencer yelled.

“I need the addresssss...” whined Brendon.

“Pull over Brendon.”

“Okaaayy.”

Brendon pulled to the side of the highway, where Spencer and I felt relatively safe.

“I don't see why you're making me pull over,” started Brendon, dramatically throwing his hands in the air. “I was just asking for the address.”

“You don't know where you're going?” asked a surprised Spencer. “You're just driving to nowhere?!?”

“I'm actually driving towards Los Angeles.” corrected Brendon.

“Argh!” I yelled. The guys turned around. “I'll drive. Damnit...”

“Sorry.” said Brendon. He got out of the driver's seat and, sulkily, moved to the backseat.

“I didn't mean to yell at you.” I said apologetically as I buckled up my seatbelt. Brendon could be overly childish but he was, you could put it, a sensitive soul and his feelings were easily hurt.

“It's okay!” Brendon said happily, putting his arms around my neck, practically choking me with the enthusiasm of the hug.

“Thanks!” I choked, prying his hands away. Spencer laughed. Once his choke hold was released, I entered the address into the navigational system and we were on our way. During the next hour and a half (it happened that Brendon was, surprisingly, going the right way), we sang, danced in our seats, and during the last half hour, Brendon and his hyperactivity finally died down and he fell asleep.

“Peace at last.” Spencer breathed an air of relief.

“It's too bad he'll miss how pretty the lights are at night.”

“The sight I'm looking at looks beautiful, day or night.”

I turned to see Spencer staring at me. I put my eyes back on the road and blushed. His gaze always made me blush, even though we'd been together for two years. He started to kiss my face, moving down to my neck when the navigator interrupted.

“Turn right on Meadowbrook.”

“Damn navigator.” Spencer and I laughed. “Hey, there's the apartment.”

My friends lived upstairs in a 6 unit apartment. Their apartment was old, big, and cozy. It had 3 spacious bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a large living room, a dining room, a small kitchen, and two balconies.

I dialed Asia's number. “Hey! Yeah, we're downstairs...you guys are coming out? Oh yeah, that's right, the gate...see you in a bit!”

“They're on their way out.” I reported to Spencer. “And your friend back there is knocked out with drool on the side of this mouth.”

“Leave him there.” We snickered.

After 3 minutes, 3 girls came out of the front gate. The first that came out was Asia. Asia had wonderful hazel eyes and perfect nose. She was statuesque: Basically a gorgeous girl. We has known each other from our time at a camp together. We were still close, though, because we stayed in touch. The second girl to come out was Vivien. She was of average height with beautiful, curly, bouncy hair and dazzling blue eyes. I knew her through Asia, and also from the publicity: Her boyfriend was the frontman of a popular New Jersey band. The last girl to come out was Khadijah. She was also the shortest of the bunch at, roughly, 5 feet tall. She had root beer colored eyes and had a sort of childish cuteness about herself. I also knew her through Asia and, according to Asia, she was the artistic one.

“Hey girls!” I hopped out of the car to greet them and we exchanged hugs. Spencer got out of the car next. “This is my boyfriend.” I put my arms around his waist.

“Pleased to make your acquaintance.” said Spencer.

“The pleasure is ours.” Asia said, smiling and shaking his hand. “Quite a grip you've got there.” She winked.

“You'll have to excuse her.” explained Vivien. “She's a shameless flirt but doesn't mean any harm.”

“Shut up.” said Asia, playfully hitting Vivien.

“I thought there were 3 of you coming?” said Khadijah with a puzzled expression.

“The third party is asleep.” said Spencer. He pointed to the back seat. “That's Brendon.”

Khadijah walked over to the car and opened the back door. She leaned over Brendon and shook him.

“Hey sleepyhead.” she spoke and shook simultaneously. “Wake up.”

He shuddered and slightly opened his eyes. “Where am I?” He yawned.

“Los Angeles.” Khadijah said. She smiled. “You got spit on-” She gestured to his left cheek.

Brendon got up and bumped his head on the ceiling of the car. Everyone laughed. Brendon was just sleepily passive about it.

“Come on.” Khadijah took his arm and led him out of the car.

“You're tall.” she said.

“You're short.” he said back.

She playfully kicked him. “Don't piss off short people. We have an...unfair advantage.”

Everyone laughed. They clearly understood what she meant. Asia led the way upstairs.

“He's a hottie!” Khadijah whispered to me while we were walking up the stairs.

“He's single.” I said back. We exchanged glances and laughed.

“Brendon, Spencer, you guys can sleep in the living room.” said Asia. “Hayley, you can sleep in my room.”

“My boyfriend and his band mates are flying in from New Jersey tomorrow.” Vivien said. “You guys are gonna have to make room.”

“Why can't they just get a hotel like they usually do?” Khadijah asked, rolling her eyes. “I'm not fond of sharing my room with strange men.” She said this, even though they weren't strange to her. She knew them.

“We'll figure something out.” I said. “Let's get some rest for now.”

“Anybody hungry?” asked Asia.

“Got anything sweet?” Brendon asked.

“NO!” Spencer and I yelled.

“No sweets for him; he's a hyper one.” I said, my eyes wide open.

“You heard that sleepyhead.” said Khadijah. She stood on a chair and tapped his head. “We're sleeping tonight.”

“Night everyone.”

“Night Asia.”

“Night Viv.”

“Night Hayley, baby.”

“Night Spencer.”

“Night short girl.”

“Night sleepyhead.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! I actually wrote this chapter while I was on the phone with Asia. I made a lot of major adjustments though, so that I could add some more character traits into the story and make is seem like a story, instead of reading like a screenplay (which I have been known to do). Okay, hope you guys enjoy this! I'm anxious to see what Asia'sgonna write already written!!!!