Status: This story is finished, but it does have a sequel.

Show Me What I'm Looking For

Dieci

Ali’s point of view

It was now 5:40 and I wasn’t even in the shower yet. All day I was looking for distractions so I wouldn’t think about it. I went from homework to shopping and even slipped in a job interview and when I got home I decided to nap, bad idea. I now had an hour and a half to get ready. I gathered my undergarments and my bathrobe and ran to the bathroom. I took one of the fastest showers I had ever taken in my life and quickly dried myself off. I didn’t exactly know what to wear yet, so I put it off as much as I could. I straightened my hair and did my make-up which I tried to keep as natural as possible. I was so excited and nervous for tonight, I was nearly fidgeting. I didn’t exactly know how my parents felt about it; hopefully they wouldn’t flip out like last time. I decided to wear a high-waist black skirt and a purple tank top with flats. I slipped on the skirt, tucked in the tank top and put on my shoes. I then grabbed my purse and ran down the stairs. John should be here any minute.

“Sweetie, where are you going all dressed up?” I heard my mom say as she dried her hands off with a dish towel.

“Out.” I decided to keep the information flow as minimal as possible.

“With who?” She asked, this time with a much more serious sound in her voice.

“A friend.” I answered, looking out the window hoping he would get there before my father joined in.

“Which friend?” I heard my dad say as he walked to where my mom was. Too late, it was all over now.

“John…”

“What is the purpose of this get together tonight?” My dad was starting to raise his voice.

“It’s a date…” I said with a barely audible voice.

“A what?” My mother added this time.

“A date okay! Now don’t flip out. It doesn’t mean anything yet and he’s a great guy at least give him a chance. Please guys, for me?” I added.

They both looked at each other and went into the kitchen to discuss things. I couldn’t quite make out what they were saying. Sure enough, they came back out with a somewhat relaxed look on their faces.

“Okay Ali, we came to a decision. We know that we can’t keep you from this forever so, you may go tonight.” My mom said. Seriously though, I would have gone even if they said no.

“Really, thank you—”

“Now, we want to meet this boy and it’s only a date. Your curfew is at 11. Do I make myself clear?” My father responded. I just nodded not wanting to push things any further. I thanked them and they went to watch TV as I marched my way back upstairs waiting for John to pick me up.

John’s point of view

It was now 6:49 and I was going to be late. I quickly said bye to my parents, took my key and headed out. On the way over, I was just trying to relax. The nerves were going to get the best of me if I didn’t calm down. Once I pulled up to the driveway, I turned off the car and made my way to the front door. After two rings, someone finally answered the door.

“Hi, I’m here to pick up Ali,” I said.

The man looked me up and down and added, “And who might you be?” he responded. I guess this was her dad.

“Oh, I’m John sir—”

“Yes, we’ve heard so much about you. Please, come in. She shouldn’t be too long.” I thanked him and entered the house. I was hoping Ali would hurry up, because I didn’t really want to spend the evening with her dad. He offered me a drink which was soon followed by multiple questions ranging from what my parents do for a living to my grades in school.

“Okay, I’m ready! Let’s go!” I heard Ali yell from the top of the steps. As soon as she said that, I bounced out of my chair and waited for her by the stairs. We said bye to her parents and closed the door behind us.

“You look great by the way. I wanted to tell you before, but I wasn’t sure what your dad would say.”

“Thanks, and sorry it took so long; my mom was giving me The Talk upstairs… I thought I was going to vomit in my mouth.” She then leaned in and gave me a kiss on the cheek. “That was from before; I couldn’t let my parents see.” We both laughed and I opened the car door for her. I then ran to the other side and got in the drivers seat, started the car and we were off.

Ali’s point of view

It had been 10 minutes since we left and things were going great so far. We were blasting some Cobra Starship through the speakers and I was singing along while John was just laughing and driving. After the song was finished, I turned down the radio and we started talking.

“So where are you taking me?” I asked him.

“It’s a surprise. I can’t tell you.” He responded.

“Fine then, just hurry. I’m hungry!”

After a couple of minutes, we pulled into the parking lot of what seemed to be a very sophisticated and classy restaurant.

“Are you sure this is the right place?” I questioned him hoping he had gotten the address wrong. I didn’t want him to feel like he had to impress me by taking me here.

“Yup! It’s the finest Italian restaurant in Arizona. What’s wrong…? You don’t like it?”

“No, no, I love it.” Lies, what lies. “It’s just that I’m ridiculously under-dressed.”

“Oh come on! You look amazing.” He said as he grabbed my hand and led me to the front door which he so kindly opened for me.

“Hi, reservations under O’Callaghan, table for two.”

“Yes, right this way.” The receptionist said. We followed him to a quiet table near the window. As we walked, all the other costumers stared at us like we didn’t belong and quite honestly, we didn’t.

We sat down and the receptionist handed us the menus and John ordered us a bottle of wine. I just stared at my menu not wanting to comment on it for now.

“What’s wrong? You’re quiet.” He said looking over his menu with a huge grin on his face.

“Nothing…” I added looking away.

“Come on, what’s wrong? Tell me.”

“I can’t. You’re going to get mad,” I said, closing my menu.

“I won’t get mad. I promise.” He said, reaching out for my hand.

“Okay fine, I wanted a date with the real John O’Callaghan, not the one that thinks that fancy restaurants impress me…” He was quiet at first and then laughed a little.

“You mean you don’t care about all this stuff?” He asked me.

“I really don’t. I could be with you anywhere and it wouldn’t matter.” I said, staring deeply into his eyes.

“Alright then, you want a date with the real John O’, then that’s exactly what you’ll get,” he said as he ripped off his tie and grabbed my hand. We got up and left the restaurant laughing so hard I was surprised they didn’t kick us out.

He opened the car door for me again and got in on the other side.

“So, where are you taking me now?” I asked him as he started the car and drove off.

“We, my lady, are going to go race some go-carts and get some burgers and ice cream. That’s as John O’ as it’s going to get,” He said as he placed his hand on the back of my car seat.

We arrived at the go-carts track about 10 minutes later and walked out to the track. John rented us two carts and we set up on the track.

“You’re going down Ali,” he said as he got into his cart.

“Oh please. You should see the tracks we had back home. They put this one to shame.” I added, playing along.

The lights changed from red to yellow to green and we took off. At first I was in the lead followed by a couple of others that had joined in but slowly John caught up and we were neck-in-neck. I crossed the finish line a couple of seconds before John but I think that he just let me win.

“So…tell me! Who is the best? Who? Who? Who?” I said to him as he gave back the equipment.

“Come on, I totally let you win.” He said to me as he covered me in a bear hug.

“Please, you just can’t admit that a girl beat you at driving.” I teased.

“Fine, you’re the best Ali. Come on; let’s go get something to eat and then I have to get you home before your dad shoots me with his rifle.” He joked.

“He doesn’t hate you… He’s just extremely protective.” I said as he held my hand and walked me to the hamburger place.

We ordered our food and ate it in a hurry. It was already 10:30 and I had to be home in half an hour. After we were done, he drove me directly home without stopping for ice cream. By the time we got to my house, it was 10:55 and we had 5 minutes to spare. I got out of the car and he walked me to my door.

“So… Goodnight John. I had an amazing time tonight!” I said to him.

“Me too… Well, I should get going. My parents want me home.” He said as he leaned over me.

“Yea… goodnight” I responded this time as I gave him a hug. We were about to let go, when suddenly he reached in and pressed his lips against mine. It felt so right yet so wrong. The kiss was perfect; it sent tingles through my whole body.

“You cheated!” I said to him as I pulled away.

“What are you talking about?” He added with a laughing voice.

“I never kiss on a first date…” I said as I leaned my head against him.

“Well… I don’t really follow the rules.” He said. I thought I was going to melt right then and there.

“I wish I could stay here forever with you.” I added.

“Don’t worry; I’ll call you tomorrow. Goodnight beautiful.” He said to me as he kissed my forehead.

“Goodnight John.” I opened the front door and waved him goodbye. This had to be by far the best night of my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think :]
just a quick update!

xoxoxo
Ali