Goddamn These Bright Blue Eyes

Her Friends Say She's Made Up

"He doesn't like me," I complained to my best friend, Samantha. "He never will. I'm telling you. Why would he pick me anyways? There's tons of girls he would rather have that like him." I couldn't get Travis off my mind, which was kind of a bad thing. I lit a cigarette and inhaled deeply.
"He does like you though. He just doesn't want to date right now. We've been through this," she said. No matter what she thought, I knew Travis didn't like me. Couldn't like me. I'd dated two of his closest friends.
"Even if he did want to date he wouldn't pick me," I sighed. She just shook her head. Sure we'd been through this countless times, but that didn't mean anything. Every time I closed my eyes, thoughts of him would consume my head. "Tell me bad things about him to make me not like him."
"It's not a bad thing to like him, you know," she told me. "Maybe a little weird for me considering he's my brother, but I want you to be happy."
"If you want me to be happy, then help me with this," I said, a little annoyed now. "It's all I'm asking from you." She shook her head again, but started listing off things she thought would me not like him anymore. Did I care that he was heartless? No. Because I wanted to be the one to help him find it. Because I knew it was there somewhere.