Decimate the Stars

The One I Want

I sat at my kitchen table, only a few days after my lay off. My friend April sat across from me—my moral support—as I looked through the classifieds.
April had been my best friends since we were in 2nd grade. We'd both had the misfortune of having Mrs. Rickman, as our homeroom teacher. She played favorites, and not the normal favorites, like most teachers do, but she went full out. She would by her favorite students candy, and happily put it on their desk when their birthday rolled around. My birthday happened to be the day before Christmas break began—December 21st—, and what did I get put on my desk? A lousy fucking pencil. April's birthday was Christmas day, and so she got something on her desk that day too; she got the same exact pencil I did. It was then that we became friends, and have stayed that way ever since. A simple friendship, but sure to last a lifetime.
"What kind of job are you looking for?" April asked, glancing up at me, as she flipped through the entertainment section of the newspaper.
"Anything. I need something that will pay the bills, otherwise you may have a new roommate," I said, flipping through the classifieds.
She looked up at me, a horrified expression on her face. "Oh dear Lord," She joked, and put her hands together and looked up to the ceiling. "Please don't leave Lane unemployed."
I laughed. "There's got to be a job out there."
I skimmed over the available job positions available at McDonald's, which seemed to be a never ending list.
"I could see if I could get you a job working with me," April offered.
I shook my head. "Hell no. I refuse to work at a coffee shop," I stated forcefully.
April shrugged. "Lane, I'm just trying to help you. And trust me it pays the bills."
"I wonder if I should become a stripper," I thought aloud.
April put her paper down, and looked at me accusingly. "Yeah, sure. Lane down on corner of Whore Lane."
I smiled. "I was kidding. I wouldn't ever put myself out there like that."
"You better not," She threatened.
I laughed. "I won't, I can assure you that."
I looked up at the front door, right as Wes slammed it open, and then slammed it shut as he walked in.
"What the hell!" I yelled. "Have you ever heard of knocking!" I accused.
"Sorry," He breathed. "I just have to ask the both of you if you'd like to go out with me tomorrow night?"
I looked to April, who was raising a perfect eyebrow. "May I ask where to?" She asked hesitantly.
I knew why she was so hesitant to go out with Wes, I felt the same way. The last time we went out with Wes he took us to the local bar, which is notorious for shitty Berkeley and San Francisco bands. It was nearly 10 miles from my apartment, and possibly a few more from April's, and Wes had driven us. He got so wasted that he had completely forgotten that he'd taken us, and he'd left. We had to hitchhike home, and it was the scariest night of our lives.
"It's the place that's a few blocks from the record shop," He said, and looked at me apologetically.
"I guess I'll go." April shrugged. "We'll walk, because I don't think any of us want to drive drunk."
I smiled. "I'll go if we walk."
"Then it's set!" Wes exclaimed, and pulled out a chair to my right. "Mind if I crash here then?"
I shook my head. "Nope. April you can stay too."
She smiled. "I was going to if you let me or not."
I grinned. "I figured."
Job searching drug on, and I gave up after another hour. Wes and April left at around 10, and left me with the silence of the apartment. Usually the silence was welcomed, but tonight I just felt alone, and lost. Not having a job to wake up for was different. I was used to waking up at 7, and being to work by 9. I felt utterly useless now.
I went through the next day with more job hunting. Time seemed to stand still as I stood at the counter with a cup of stale coffee, that had been sitting there since early this morning. I flipped through today's newspaper, and noticed a job position back at the record store.
I picked up the phone, and dialed Rick's office number.
"Hello, Record Store," Rick chimed.
"Rick, it's Lane," I stated.
"Lane, what can I do for you?" He asked, the thrill that had just been in his voice, disintegrated.
"What the hell is with the new job position in the paper?" I asked. My tone was harsh, and to be honest he deserved it.
"Well." I could hear the hesitance in his voice. "After I let a few people go, I realized I was a little short handed."
"Has anyone applied?" I asked curiously.
"No." His tone told me he knew what I was going to ask.
"Would you mind if I came back?" I asked.
There was a smile that came with his voice. "I'd love to have you back."
"Thank you so much Rick!" I exclaimed.
"Don't mention it. Oh, and I won't change your wage. I think I can afford it."
"When should I come back?" I asked.
"Monday work for you?" He asked.
I grinned. "Perfect. Same time?"
"Nine a.m. sharp. See you then Lane," Rick said.
"Bye." I placed the phone back on the cradle, and nearly jumped with joy. I really hated the Record Store, but I got my job back, and I could now be assured that I could afford to pay the bills.
The phone's shrill ring echoed loudly in the apartment. I picked it up on the second ring.
"Hello?" I asked cheerfully.
"Why are you so happy?" Wes's voice asked.
I smiled. "I got my job back."
"Congrats!" He exclaimed.
"Thanks, so what's up?"
"I just wanted to give you a heads up that I'll be over in 15 minutes."
I laughed. "Thank you for the warning Wes."
"Anytime." He did the little side click with his tongue through the phone.
"See you in a few." I rolled my eyes.
"Bye, bye."
I placed the phone on the cradle once again. I went into my room, and shoved my money in my wallet, making sure I had enough for admission and drinks, if we went to a bar afterwards.
After a few minutes of picking out something in my closet, I heard Wes slam through the door. I was starting to get used to his barging entrances, but it still annoyed me. I'd been tempted to lock my doors more often, but then I'd have to physically get up and answer the door.
"Lane!" He yelled.
"In my room!" I shouted.
He appeared in the doorway within seconds with an amused expression. "What are you doing?"
"Finding something to wear," I replied.
"You look fine," He assured.
I looked down at myself. I was wearing sweats and a tank top. I looked at him and raised an eyebrow. "Bullshit. I didn't even change after my shower, I'm still in my pajamas."
He cocked his head to the side. "I guess it's your body." He shrugged. "Do what you want."
I smiled. "I will do just that."
I held up a pair of skinny jeans, and a Nirvana shirt.
"Do you honestly care that much about what people think?" Wes asked, as he laid down on my bed, and threw my hacky sack up at the ceiling.
"No, not really," I said, and started to undress right in front of him. We'd been friends for so long, it didn't even phase me that he might be attracted to me. I pulled on my jeans, and threw on the shirt, and was set.
"Do you know where we're going?" He challenged.
"I'm guessing Gilman?" I replied
He smiled. "Have you ever been there?"
I shook my head. "No, but I've thought about going."
Wes grinned at me. "You'll like it."
"Who's performing?"
"A little band that's with Lookout! Records," He stated. "Can't remember who exactly."
"Oh," I said with a nod.
April's announcing knock sounded from the door.
Wes bolted up off my bed, and sprinted to the door. I followed slowly after him.
"Jesus!" April exclaimed as Wes instantly pulled her into a hug.
Wes stepped away from her with a confused look. "I'm not Jesus, I'm Wesley."
April laughed, and walked past him. "Lane, what the fuck did you do to poor Wes?"
I shrugged. "Hell if I know."
She smiled. "So where are we going?" She asked, standing in the middle of the living room, and looking back and forth between us.
Wes smiled at me. "Some place."
April wasn't happy with his answer, and looked at me. "Where are we going?" she asked again, this time to me.
I shrugged. "Just a little place."
"Okay." She nearly stomped her foot, when she crossed her arms across her chest. "If someone doesn't tell me now, I'm going to go get in my car, and go home."
Wes looked at me and laughed. "Ape don't freak out! We're just going to Gilman."
The anger seeped from her face. "Oh."
"When are we leaving?" I asked.
"Show starts at 7:30," Wes said, and looked at the clock above the TV.
"So, at around 6:45?"
Wes nodded. "Which would be right now."
I looked at the clock, and was shocked. The last time I'd looked at the clock it had been 3:30.
"Let's go!" April exclaimed, and grabbed her purse off of the chair.
I shoved my wallet in my back pocket and threw on my converse, and followed her out the door.
We walked out the front door, of the apartment, into the muggy night air. The smog was thick in the distance, and made everything hazy. Which made the air seem thicker than it should have been.
We started down the road toward Gilman Street.
"So how much is the show?" April asked, as she danced around in front of Wes and I.
"I think it's 10," Wes said, and with the thought, pulled out his wallet to make sure he had enough.
"Okay," April said with a nod.
"I haven't been to a concert in ages," I commented.
"Really?" Wes said.
I nodded. "Last one was in high school."
"When we went to The Cure?" April asked, as she twirled down the sidewalk, making me dizzy.
I nodded.
"Jesus Lane," Wes laughed. "We need to get you out of your apartment more often."
I smiled, and laughed slightly. "Good luck with that."
We chatted the rest of the way there, and turned the corner on Gilman. We walked a block down to the corner of 8th Street, where Gilman was. A small line remained and a sign for the band was posted outside the door.
"Green Day," April muttered to herself. "That band sounds familiar."
I shrugged. It did, but I may have heard about it at the store, and said something to Ape about it. I wasn't sure about anything anymore.
As we made our way quickly up to the door, I pulled out my wallet and grabbed two fives, that I'd stashed for admission.
I handed my money to the volunteer at the door, and walked in. Graffiti covered the walls, and nearly the whole place was packed. Wes grabbed my hand, and led me toward the stage.
"I don't think we can get any closer," He said as we were pushed toward the wall, and were about 7 feet from the stage.
"It works for me," I said. "I'll be deaf either way," I added.
Wes laughed. "We'll be yelling the whole way home."
"Ain't that the truth," April chimed in.
April inched her way in between Wes, and I. I leaned my shoulder against the wall, and felt someone tap my right shoulder from behind.
I turned, and saw the guy from the record store.
"Lane, right?" He smiled.
I nodded. "Billie?"
He smile grew even wider. "Yeah."
"Did you find someone to give your Pistol's record to?" I asked.
He shook his head. "No, but I think one of my siblings might take it from me."
"Which one was it?" I asked. "I haven't gotten their latest album."
His eyes brightened. "Kiss This?"
I nodded.
"Yeah, that's the one I got, and I'd completely forgotten I got it for my birthday when I bought it." Billie smiled. "You can have if you'd like."
I smiled. "Thanks. Hey stop by the record store on Monday, and I'll take it off your hands."
"Didn't you get fired?" He asked.
I nodded. "Then my boss decided to go and post a job position in the paper. I didn't want to take the job, but I really have no choice right now."
He smiled. "Well congrats. I should be around town Monday morning."
I returned his smile. "I'll see you then."
He nodded. "I've got to get back," He pointed a thumb behind himself. "I'll see you."
I nodded.
I watched him walk away, and when the lights went out, he faded away. I turned back to the stage, which was pitch black, but silhouettes were visible from the dim lights from behind the stage curtain.
A few chords began to leak out of the amps, and ricochet off the walls. A very familiar voice began to follow after the fast intro. "Dear mother, can you hear me whining? It's been three whole weeks, since that I have left you home."
My jaw dropped as I realized who was on stage. I had just been talking with the lead singer of Green Day. I had just bought their CD a few weeks ago, and it didn't even phase me that his voice was so familiar the other day.
Wes and April looked at me with a shocked expression when I started to sing along.
"Why didn't you tell me you knew about Green Day?" Wes yelled over the pounding bass.
"I didn't even realize it! I forgot I bought their CD!" I replied.
Wes laughed and rolled his eyes. "You're so weird Lane!"
"Thanks," I mumbled and continued singing along.
Green Day went through nearly an hour of straight performance before Billie stopped, and gave the guys a break.
"How is everyone tonight?" He asked as he unscrewed the cap of his bottle of water.
The crowd screamed.
"Good, good. I'd like to thank you all for coming out tonight. We are going to finish off the night with a few more songs. This next one goes out to a girl in the crowd," Billie said, and pulled on his blue guitar.
Their bassist stepped up the microphone, and turned to Billie. "What would this girl's name be?"
"I think she knows who she is." Billie's eyes scanned the crowd.
"Well, where did you meet this lady?" The bassist pushed for more information.
Billie shook his head. "Mike, you're fucking nosey."
Mike smiled, and looked toward the crowd. "We're all curious, right?"
The crowd screamed in agreement.
Billie sighed. "I met her at her job."
"Is she a hooker?" The drummer chimed in from his microphone.
Billie turned toward him, and drug the microphone stand around with him. "Trè, no she's not. I know you're last girl was a hooker, but that doesn't mean I'm into hookers."
The crowd 'oohed' and some laughed.
"Well, what is she then?" Mike asked. I could see the smirk playing on his face.
"A normal girl," Billie stated. "Isn't that what she should be?"
"Well what are we playing then?" Trè asked, changing the subject.
"The One I Want," Billie stated. "This goes out to a girl in the crowd."
The crowd cheered and clapped at the announcement of a love song.
The chords started for the song, and Billie's lips caressed the microphone as he started to sing. "Sitting in my room last night, staring at the mirror. I couldn't find a reason why, I couldn't be near her."
My brain scrambled with questions. Who was this song dedicated to?
The answer screamed through my head.
It couldn't be. I'd just met him. He couldn't feel that way already? Could he?