Keep Me Alive

Sound Effects and Over Dramatics

Sometimes I give myself the creeps. Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me.
"God, don't you just love his voice?" Jaz asked as she stared passionately at her poster of Billie Joe from Green Day on her wall.
I laughed a little. "Yeah. It's awesome," I said, nodding, not looking up from the magazine I was reading. I was laying on my stomach on her bed.
"I mean, that man is like perfect," She said, sighing.
I shook my head. "You're obsessed, Jaz."
"What?" She said, turning to look at me. "I am not."
"Yeah you are."
"Okay," She shrugged. "Define obsessed."
I put my magazine down, giving her a 'do i really have to tell you' look. "You always talk about him."
"That doesn't mean I'm obsessed. I'm merely a fan in love with the most gorgeous man on the planet. And that gorgeous man just happens to be Mr. Billie Joe Armstrong," She said, making kissy noises at her poster.
I shook my head, laughing. "You sound obsessed to me."
She stuck out her tongue, turning up the volume, as Green Day's "Basket Case" bounced off the walls, making them shake slightly.
Jaz began dancing along to the song, singing loudly.
"Come on, Maddy! Dance!" She squealed, grabbing my arms and forcing me off her bed. I stumbled as she dragged me to the middle of her room.
"Jaz!" I laughed. "I'm not gonna dance."
"Oh come on! No one's watching!" She urged.
I laughed, realizing she was right.
No one was around but us and the guys were in the basement, so it was safe.
"Okay, fine." I began dancing along with her, as Billie Joe's voice filled the entire room.
"We look stupid!" I yelled over the music.
"I know!" She replied, headbanging. Her brown hair swinging from side to side, making me laugh hysterically.
We continued dancing and singing along like complete morons. And just then, the door to her room suddenly swung open and in came Zacky. He had a look of confusion on his face.
And we didn't even notice his presence, until I was the one who turned around, face to face with him.
Jaz didn't notice me stopping and continued dancing, throwing her arms in the air. I tapped her on the shoulder and she stopped, staring at me weirdly. "What?"
I pointed to Zacky, who smirked at his sister. "What the hell are you guys doing?"
"Dancing, duh," She replied, rolling her eyes.
"You call that dancing?" He teased, laughing. "You look like a flamingo on Ritalin."
Jaz scoffed, shoving her brother. "What do you want, Zack?"
"Could you turn it down? Some of us are trying to play music. I can hear Billie Joe all the way downstairs."
Jaz sighed over dramatically and walked over to her stereo, turning the volume down; Billie Joe's voice slowly fading.
"There. Happy?" She said, with her hands on her hips.
"Yes," He replied with a smirk.
"Dude, what's going on?" Someone suddenly said from behind him.
Brian emerged from behind Zacky. His eyes laid on Jaz and then at me, which made me blush slightly.
God, I hope he doesn't notice me blushing.
"They were dancing like idiots," Zacky replied, laughing. Brian began laughing quietly, smirking at me.
Jaz rolled her eyes, pushing Zacky out of her room. "Get out."
"Dude, chill," Zacky said, holding his hands up.
"I am chilled, Zachary. You're just pissing me off more than usual," She stated with a glare.
Zacky laughed. "Really? So would you say that this is the most pissed you can get?"
She crossed her arms. "Yes."
He grinned. "So you won't get more pissed if I do this?" He suddenly flicked her forehead, causing her to squeal in frustration.
"That's it! You're dead, Baker!" She yelled, hitting her brother crazily. He shielded himself with his arms, and ran out of her room. She followed, hitting him all the way.
Through all the brother-sister madness, I was the one who ended up being alone with Mr. Brian Haner. He was still standing in the doorway, hands in pockets, laughing to himself.
"They're always like this, aren't they?" Brian said.
I nodded, also laughing. "Always."
He smiled.
We stood there, kind of nodding to ourselves, as if trying to think of what to say to one another.
Can you say awkward?
"So...what's up?" He finally asked, making me look up at his chocolate brown eyes.
I looked at him weirdly, biting my lower lip.
Was he actually trying to make small talk?
Okay, try not to say anything stupid, Maddy.
"Um, I'm good. You?" Psh. How interesting.
"I'm great. We just wrote a new song and played it. It sounds really good," He replied with another smile, which made me numb to my knees.
Please don't fall.
"Really? I'd love to hear it," I said.
He nodded. "Come on. We'll play it for you," He said, motioning for me to follow him out of the room. I gladly followed the guy; my heart pounding faster than ever.
We made our way through the Baker household, finally reaching the basement, where we found all the guys talking on the couch. Zacky and Jaz weren't there, though.
I was surprised one didn't send the other to the hospital yet. That was bound to happen sometime.
"Hey, Maddy wants to hear our new song," Brian said to the guys.
They all nodded. Brian went over and picked up his guitar, putting the strap over his head, while the other guys all got in their positions.
"Wait a sec," Matt said, looking around. "Where the hell's Baker?"
"He and Jaz were fighting upstairs," I replied, sitting myself on the old brown couch.
"Great, how are we gonna do this without Zack?" Johnny said, sighing.
"You know what, I'll go get them," I said, getting off the couch. "That is, if they haven't killed each other yet."
I was about to open the basement door, when in came the Baker siblings themselves, not fighting anymore. Thank goodness.
"Hey I was just about to get you. Zacky, they need you to play," I said, and Zacky nodded, walking towards his guitar.
"They have a new song," I told Jaz, as we made our way towards the couch, sitting down.
"Oh that's great! Well, let's hear it," Jaz said to the boys.
We watched as they began telling each other the exact chords, and finally, Matt began singing, followed by each of the guys playing their instruments.
Jaz and I just sat there, enjoying the song, trying to sing along, even though we didn't know the exact words.
"That was awesome!" Jaz squealed once they had finished, whistling like she was the band's groupie.
I laughed, rolling my eyes at Jaz's behavior.
"What about you, Maddy. What'd you think?" Matt asked, setting his microphone down.
I smiled. "Beyond awesome. Fucking ace," I said.
"Woo! That's what I'm talkin about! We are the fucking gods of rock!" Brian exclaimed, doing a quick solo on his guitar.
Matt snorted in laughter, as did the others.
"Guys, I'm bored. Let's do something," Zacky said, setting his guitar down against the wall.
"I know. Let's watch TV," Johnny said, walking to the couch, and sitting next to us.
"Nothing good's on," Jaz said, shrugging.
"Oh oh! Why don't we just throw a party?" Brian said. "Zacky, you're parents won't be home till tomorrow, right?"
He shrugged. "Yeah, but....it's like 10 o'clock. Who's gonna show up at this hour?"
Brian laughed. "Wow, you've obviously never thrown a real party before. All the good parties start at ten or eleven. That's the beauty of staying up late, getting drunk and all that good shit."
Matt shook his head. "Get drunk? We have minors in the house, remember?" Matt said, referring to Jaz and myself.
"We don't mind, as long as you dumbasses don't offer us alcohol. That's pretty ilegal," She said jokingly.
"So it's settled. Party up in here," Jimmy sang, twisting his drumsticks in between his fingers.
I rested my back on the couch.
Did I think it was a good idea? Not really.
I'm not one to enjoy parties, honestly. I much rather just stay at home, watch some TV or even read a good book.
I was far from being a crazy party girl. That's one of the reasons Jaz always teases me about being so shy.
But I didn't care what anyone thought. That's just how I am.
"We're gonna have so much fun!" Jaz squealed, as we all made our way out of the basement and into the living room of the Baker household.
"You guys really think this is smart? What if your parents decide to just come home tonight?" I asked.
"They won't, trust me. Besides, it'll be the perfect way to make a move on Brian."
I sighed. "I don't want to make a move on Brian, Jaz. You know I'm not that kind of person."
"Right. You're the shy kind. But like I said before, I'll help you. Brian will fall for you in a matter of hours, believe me."
I chewed on my bottom lip nervously.
What the hell. Might as well just go along. I mean, what's the worse that could happen?
♠ ♠ ♠
At last it's finally over
Couldn't take this town much longer
Being half dead wasn't what I planned to be
Now I'm ready to be free.