Afraid To Know What Lies Behind The Stare

08

That morning was regulation normal. My mom woke me up and made me eat a "real" breakfast: cheerios with honey, vanilla yogurt, and a glass of milk. Don't forget the multivitamin!

Last night's dream still haunts my mind. All that blood and gore...

My mom turns on the TV and the morning news blares into the kitchen.

"A local man was found murdered, a Mr. Franklin.The cause of death are two puncture wounds found in the man's neck. His body was virtually bloodless. The time of death was recorded at 3:15 this morning.The police are puzzled as to why this occured."

My mind blanks out with complete and utter shock.

"Are you ok, honey?"

"Ye-yeah, mom. I'm fine,"I say. I can't believe I just had a dream about his death. But Damien couldn't have killed him, it can't be. Vampires don't exist. They are scientifically impossible!

Denial is a bitch, isn't it?

I can't really explain what happened next. I didn't exactly faint, for I was still conscious. But everything sounded as if it were coming from behind a brick wall and all I could see were spots. My legs gave out. My mom caught me as I fell.

"I don't think you should go to school today, honey," my mom said, very concerned.

As everything went back to normal, I shook my head. I wasn't going to let Damien think I was wimping out. Besides, the P would probably suspend me, and I really don't need that right now.

"No, mom. I'm going to go to school today. If I feel sick I'll call you from the office, ok?"

"Ok, honey. Be safe!"

"Why do you say that?"

"The body was found in the alley behind the abandoned supermarket."

No. Fucking. Way.

And then it hits me: that's where the dream happened. Maybe Damien is a vampire after all....

I resolve myself to find out. One thing at a time. Now I have to show him around. MaybeI can pester him about being a vampire.

If he is one.

I walk outside to an impatient Elliot.

"God, Christie. What took you so long?"

"My mom wanted to talk to me, is all."

"What about?"

"The murder..."

She talked about it all the way to school. I decided not to tell her about my dream and my suspisions about Damien. Someone might hear and it would be spread all around school.

No, thanks.

The first bell rang.

"Bye, hun. Good luck with Mr. Gorgeous," she says as we hug goodbye.

"Ha ha. See you later,"I respond.

The tardy bell is about to ring and I can't find "Mr. Gorgeous" anywhere.

"Looking for me?" someone says behind me. Right behind me.