Status: Indefinite Hiatus

Where Do I Begin? All I Know Is Gone

Tekau ma Rua

By the time midday rolled around I was sick of lying in bed. Even though beds were one of my favourite places to be, there were times when they got to be too much. Sometimes you just need to get some energy out, without being a writhing, sweaty mess. Though that was an enjoyable activity too, I don't think either Padge or I want to start getting into that shit any time soon. Well, I can't really talk for him... For all I know he could well be a fan of random sex with strangers. Me though, I've never been a fan of casual sex, or one night stands. Even fuck buddies is stretching the limits a little, though if I were that desperate I guess I'd consider it.

The man beside me was restless too, both of us having been unable to get back into a peaceful sleep. Instead we'd been content to snuggle into each other, sharing our warmth since the day had decided to remain chilly. We shared a few words every now and then, but mostly we were content in silence.

Throwing the covers off of our bodies, startling Padge going by his sharp intake of air, I wriggled my way to the edge of the mattress before moving into a sitting position. "I'm going to jump in the shower, then I'm taking over your kitchen."

"What for?" Padge asked curiously, pulling the covers back over his torso while watching me rummage through my pile of clothes.

"Because I'm bored?" Judging by the look on his face, as I peered back over my shoulder at him, that wasn't a suitable answer. "You have a problem with me cooking for you?" I playfully bitched at him. Sometimes it was just fun to tease him because he was too polite to do anything about it.

The rolling of his eyes was the only answer I received, taking it as my cue to get on with picking out some clothing. I had a small collection of clean items that I pulled out of the slightly larger pile. I really needed to go back to my room and grab some more, plus wash the ones I'd worn over the past few days.

"You know you could bring all your stuff here if it would be easier," Padge's voice appeared in my ear, while his hand lay gently against the middle of my back. "You're here all the time anyway, it's stupid to be paying for a room when you aren't using it. I don't know why I never thought of it before," he rambled, chuckling uneasily when he was finished.

I was stunned. Had Jay said something to him last night when I wasn't paying attention? Maybe Padge truly had just thought it would be a good idea. The frown on my face was obviously making him uneasy, so I softened it and tried to find some words.

"You don't have to move in if you don't want to. I just thought it made sense, and since our little arrangement, or whatever you want to call it seems to be working out..."

Once again the man had compelled me into wrapping my arms around him. "Thank you," I finally managed to force out.

x

Searching through the kitchen cupboards it was apparent I would need to do some shopping before I could begin creating my masterpiece. On relaying this information to Padge he decided we could hit up the shops on the way back from picking up my belongings.

Rosie was a little sceptical of my new housing arrangement, but refused to take my money for the last week since I hadn't really used the room. I told her she was being silly, because it was still an occupied room with all my crap in there, but she put her foot down. Let me tell you, you don't want to argue with a stubborn Welshwoman. They can get pretty scary. I got my own back though. While she turned around to answer the phone I slipped an extra fifty pounds into the small pile of money I'd paid her. Not wanting to get caught, we got out of there as fast as we could, waiting until we were safely in the car before laughing about the scene.

I left Padge to wait in his car as I ran into the supermarket, telling him he'd have to wait until I was done cooking to find out what I made. Quickly scanning the aisles I grabbed what I needed - flour, cocoa, cooking oil, sugar, vanilla essence, and a secret ingredient. I also managed to find a cake tin and some baking paper to finish off my small collection before heading to the checkouts to pay.

x

Banishing Padge from the kitchen, I set to work on the recipe I knew by heart once I heard him start playing his acoustic in the lounge. It took me a few minutes to work out the conversion of temperature for the oven, but luckily it wasn't gas so it was nowhere near as complicated as it could have been.

Measuring out three cups of flour, two of sugar, two thirds of a cup of cocoa powder, two teaspoons of baking soda and a teaspoon of salt I dumped them all into a large bowl before taking my time making patterns with the different colours as I mixed them together. Next in were two cups of water, two thirds of a cup of the oil and two teaspoons of vanilla essence, plus a few drops of my special addition, peppermint essence. It wasn't actually part of the recipe, but I always put it in anyway, just for a little kick.

Mixing it all into a nice gloopy brown mess took just long enough for the oven to reach its temperature, leaving me to pour the mixture into the baking paper lined tin before throwing it into the oven to cook for an hour.

To kill the waiting time, and not feeling like tackling the dishes I'd created just yet, I followed the noise to Padge. Taking the guitar from his hands when he offered it in my direction I started to strum and pick at the strings in no particular melody. I wasn't much of a guitarist, I only knew a few basic songs, but it was fun to just play around a bit and see what came out. Playing the opening notes of Older, a song by a band my friend was the bassist in, I heard the doorbell ring, before fists started pounding on the front door.

When Padge came back, Matt and Bailey, both of whom were commenting on the smell emanating from the kitchen, followed him. Telling them that it was a surprise they had to wait for, they settled down and joined in with our little music session.

Just before the hour was up I made my way back into the kitchen, checking on the cake. Seeing that it was just set I turned the oven off and pulled the tin out, setting it on the stovetop to cool. I always like to take the cake out a bit early; it leaves the inside with a yummy fudgy consistency that's just so much better than regular cake.

After another run through of Older, which Matt had decided he quite liked and wanted to learn (Laz, my bassist friend, was going to be so stoked), I decided that everyone had waited long enough, plus my stomach was starting to rumble. "Cake time!" I yelled as I jumped up, startling everyone. Cutting four large chunks I didn't even get a chance to put them on plates before they were being eaten.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes, real recipe that is so yummy. 350F or 180C if you wanna try it out LOL

Sorry about the lack of update last week, it was a bit of a shocker for me. On a semi related note though, for the next 3 or so weeks i'm going to be farm/dog sitting for some friends while they're on holiday with my parents (doing a cruise round asia, lucky buggers) so i don't know how much time i'll have to write. I'm aiming to get back here every few days, but i'll attempt the old fashioned pen and paper deal. At least i still have internet there, so i'll be able to update if i do manage to write anything.