A New Playing Field

Come On Over

Megan's POV

We took it pretty easy at practice the next morning. Coach didn’t want to tire us out or risk an injury the day before we left. Practice ended around noon and we headed back into the locker room. I took off all my gear and took out my cell phone.

1 new voice message: “Hey Megan, it’s Nick. I know you’re at practice right now, but I wanted to give you something to come back to after practice that hopefully makes you smile. I was just wondering what you're up to later. If you need to pack, I’ll keep you company or something. I just want to see you. So give me a call when you get home, bye.”

I felt myself blushing as I listened to the message. Nick definitely succeeded in the smile creation motive of his message. I had a smile on my face my entire drive home because I couldn't stop thinking about how sweet Nick is!

Nick’s POV

Joe and Mom were in the kitchen and I could hear them talking about me. I stood on the other side of the door and listened.

“So you think he likes her?” Mom asked.

“Yeah Mom, I really do. I never saw her without him last night. And the way he was looking at her, I’ve never seem him look at anyone that way,” Joe said.

“Make sure I’m not around when you talk about me, would ya?” I said, entering the kitchen.

“Nick has a girlfriend!" Frankie teased.

“No I don’t, Frank. Not yet, at least.” Joe and Mom shot a look at me.

“Yet?” Mom asked me. Joe raised an eyebrow.

I laughed as my phone rang. The caller id said Megan. I jumped up and headed for the stairs. “Oh, and by the way Mom, I’ll tell you myself. Yes, I do like her.” I went upstairs to my room. “Hey you,” I said shutting my door.

“Oh Nick, you definitely know how to make a girl smile.”

“I try really hard, you know.”

“Well keep up the good work. Haha, what’s up?”

“Just hanging out in my room. And how about you, Ms. Olympian?”

“Just got home from practice, Mr. Rock Star. Thinking a cold shower would be nice right about now.”

“I bet. It’s hot outside.”

“Trust me, I know.”

“So what are you doing today?”

“Well, I mentioned to my mom that I wanted to spend time with you. She told me she is making a big farewell dinner tonight and told me to invite your whole family over. She’s a really good cook, if that sways your decision at all.”

“You had me at spending time with you, but a home cooked meal is icing on the cake! We haven’t had a home cooked meal in I can’t even tell you how long. I will definitely be there. I will check with the rest of my family in a little bit.”

“You can come over whenever you want. Everyone else can come over around 6 o’clock. We have a pool and a hot tub, so anyone who wants to can bring bathing suits.”

“Sounds great. So just send me a text when you’re out of the shower and I’ll come on over.”

“Perfect. Talk to you then. Bye, Nick.”

“Bye, Megan.” I went back downstairs. Surprisingly, my whole family was in the kitchen. I told them about the invite to the Gibson’s house, and everyone wanted to go.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)