A New Playing Field

Did That Box Just Talk?

Megan’s POV

I took a very quick shower. I couldn’t wait to see Nick. I put on a black bikini with yellow and white sundress over it. I put on some makeup, slipped into a pair of flip flops, and put white sunglasses on the top of my head.
1 Sent Text Message: Nick Jonas
12:50 pm- Hey, I’m out of the shower. Come whenever you want!
1 Received Text Message: Nick Jonas
12:52 pm- Getting in the car now :] and the whole Jonas party of 6 is in for tonight.

I ran downstairs. Dad was at work and Mom and Kristen were at the grocery store picking up things for tonight. In the family room, I found Colin and Mike watching a baseball game. Since we’re from New Jersey, we’ve always been huge New York Yankees fans. The Dodgers were playing in New York, so the game was on.

“What up, sis?” Colin asked as I sat down.

“Not much. Nick’s on his way over.”

“Oh la la,” Mike sang. “Hey Colin, I think our sister has a crush.”

“Hey Mike, I agree with your thinking.”

“If you guys say anything or do anything to embarrass me today, I will kick you,” I threatened. The kick threat always shuts my brothers up. They’ve seen me play and they know I have a very powerful kick. The doorbell rang as Derek Jeter stepped up to bat. I ran to the door and swung it open.

“Hey Megan." Nick smiled, which made me smile. He was wearing a blue and white flowered bathing suit with a white t-shirt and sunglasses. His curls fell perfectly on his head and face. “You look great,” Nick said giving me a hug.

“Thanks. You don’t look too bad yourself.” I led him into the family room. Mike and Colin looked up at us. “Nick, these are my brothers.” Mike and Colin stood up and introduced themselves, shaking Nick’s hand. The kick threat works every time.

Nick’s POV

“Nice to meet you guys.” Mike sat back in his chair and Colin took his place back on the couch. Megan sat next to him, and I sat next to her. All of a sudden, a very energetic golden retriever came running into the room.

“Pele!” Megan called. The dog ran towards us. “Nick, I’d like you to meet Pele!”

“He’s really friendly!” I said as I pet Pele. “So, you guys Dodgers fans?”

“Funny joke! They’re terrible. We were raised Yankee fans,” Mike responded.

“Same! I grew up in Jersey too. We’re all about the Yankees in my house.”

“Good. Anyone who doesn’t like the Yankees loses a point or two in my book,” Colin added. Everyone laughed.

“So Meg, how’s the packing?” Mike asked.

“I’m closer to the finished side, but I should probably get it done now so I don’t have to do it later when people are over.” She stood up. “Shall we?”

“We shall.” I stood up and she led me upstairs. The huge openness of the upstairs hallway shocked me. “You have a lot of doors up here. What do they all go to?”

As soon as I said that, I had no doubt that that was the dumbest question I have ever asked. Megan has this effect on me that I can't explain. She gives me butterflies in my stomach and I can't control my thoughts...or words apparently.

“Well that way,” she pointed to the right, “is the guest room and the guest bathroom.” She pointed to the left. “Then this way, this is Mike’s door, the far door is Colin’s room, and the middle door is their bathroom, which also connects to their rooms. Then the other side is literally symmetrical. This is Kristen’s door, then our bathroom, then my door. The door straight back is my parents’ room.”

“I like the setup. It’s really nice.” Megan opened her door. “Wow.” Megan’s room was really cool, not to mention pretty big. The walls were a light shade of blue, but covered with pictures and posters. There was a Mia Hamm poster and a United States Soccer decal. There were pictures of her and her family, her and her friends, and her and other famous soccer players and athletes in general. One picture caught my eye. “You met David Beckham?”

“Yes! Heather, the girl I’m closest to on my team, and I got tickets to a L.A. Galaxy game. We went into the locker room after the game and we met David. It was…incredible. He is a really nice guy.” I finished looking at her pictures and sat down on her bed. She was putting things into a large suitcase.

“Looks like you’re getting close to done.”

“Yeah, it’s not too hard. Majority of the time I’m there I’ll be wearing shorts and a t-shirt.”

“Good point.” I laughed a little. She came and sat on the bed next to me, surveying the progress she made. “Hey Megan, you know I’m gonna miss you, a lot, right?” She smiled at me.

“I’m really gonna miss you too, Nick.”

“I’m gonna be on the east coast. What’s the time difference from China to there?”

“12 hours. So if you wake up at 10 AM, I’ll be getting ready for bed at 10 PM.”

“Well,” I said, taking her hand in mine, “with technology today, I have full faith that we will talk all the time.” Megan has really pretty green eyes. I was looking into them when I heard this weird beeping noise. It was coming from a box on the wall. “Megan, we’re home.” A voice came out of it.

“Did that box just talk?! What the heck was that?!” I yelled. Megan laughed at me, stood up, and walked over to the box.

“It’s like a giant house walkie talkie. My mom is calling from the kitchen.” Megan pushed a button.

“Hey Mom, what’s up?”

“Unloading groceries. I hear Nick is here. Hi Nick!”

“Hi Mrs. Gibson?” I said, still confused.

“Come on downstairs. I just made some lemonade.”

“Okay. Be there in a second.” Megan walked back towards me.

“That…is SO cool. I wish we had one of those!”

“Every room has one. Every box has a button that connects to the other rooms.”

“I want this system in my house. My brothers and I would play with it all day.”

“Haha, you’re so cute. Let’s go downstairs. My mom makes really good lemonade!"
♠ ♠ ♠
:)