‹ Prequel: This Is An S.O.S.
Sequel: Super Sophomores

Freshman Year

January 17, 2008

I was kind of nervous on the way to the mall. My parents were going to drop me off and then go do their own thing. When we were getting on the off ramp to the St. Matthews mall, I got a text from Kevin. It said "I'm going to be like ten minutes late." I told my parents, and we just went to check out the local Whole Foods. While we were in there, Kevin texted me again, telling me he was there. I rushed my parents out. They dropped me off in front of this door. I could see Kevin sitting inside. As I opened the door to go in, he opened the opposite door to go out. We looked at each other and stopped. "Woah," he said. "I was just going out to smoke and stuff." We went inside and hugged. "You can stay inside if you want. It's cold and everything."
"Nah," I said. "I'm good."

Outside, I tried to sit on this trashcan, but was having problems. It was too high for my butt. I ended up getting all the way up, though. On my second try. After getting all the way up, I took my phone out of my pocket. I had a new text. I like freaked out when I read it. It was from my mom and it said "Is he smoking?" I showed Kevin who freaked out, also. I kept looking around for the car. It was nowhere in sight.

Inside, It got really awkward. Neither of us knew what to say. We went to Hot Topic. I just kind of stood there because I didn't know what to do. He kept encouraging me to look at stuff. I just kind of watched him look at stuff. I wasn't going to buy anything unless he did first. I looked at a hoodie. It was a black one with purple-ish blue stripes and skulls and stuff. I walked back and leaned against the wall. He came and tried to make it less awkward.

We went to Pac Sun. I kind of like the clothes there. The jeans I was wearing were from there, actually. Kevin tried on some jeans.
I just looked around. He wanted me to help him out because he thought the jeans he was wearing were too baggy. I thought they were fine. "I kind of want to go to Spencer's," he said after not finding any pants.

I had to show him the way to Spencer's. When we got there, it was a kind of in and out thing. He wanted to smoke again. We went out the door that was by the nail salon and barber shop. I leaned against a pole while he sat on a bench. "'you know, it's less cold if you sit." I sat next to him and took out my iPod. My Hero was the first song I played. "What song is that?" he asked me.
"My. Hero."
"Oh my God, I love that song."
"No. Way!" We went back in. I told Kevin that I had to buy some stuff at the sissy stores for my project. I really did. Just some bangles, though. I got some at Claire's. Kevin was like "I feel like I should have bought that for you." I told him no and that it was fine. I don't know. I just kind of feel weird when people buy me stuff.

We went to the F.Y.E. He bought a new Flogging Molly CD. I told him what my dad thought about the Dropkick Murphys. They're Kevin's favorite band. My dad thinks they're a rip off of Flogging Molly. Again, Kevin asked if he could buy me anything. I brought like a hundred dollars. I was fine.

He wanted to smoke again. I dunno. Maybe he smokes when he feels awkward? We went outside the F.Y.E. exit. I was flipping around on some bars while he was leaning against this tall-ish thing. It reminded me of like a park scene in one of those sappy romance movies. You know, the ones where they're all hanging out at the park even though they're like old-ish. "Do you really wanna go out with me?" he asked.
"Yeah. Kind of." That was no lie.
"Well, I usually just kind of always waste my life going out with girls that don't actually like me back.
"I usually like people that don't like me back."
"Isn't that the same thing?" He did have a point. It was still different, though. He actually went out with them, whereas I just liked them and told them. We went inside and made our way to the food court. it was like 8:30.

While walking past The Body Shop, I saw my parents. It was horrible.
They just had to meet him, didn't they? I got paranoid. I was feeling like they were going out stalk us. They left us.

"Can you help me pick out a new hoodie?" I asked. We went inside Hot Topic. I did the meanest thing ever. I just kind of followed him inside hot Topic. The jacket was actually at Pac Sun. It was just a plain green one. th other one was at Hot topic, so we went back there. I ended up getting that purple-ish blue striped one. Kevin offered to pay again. I was definitely paying for the hoodie. It costed like 40something dollars. Apparently, I am more self-conscious than him. I don't like "chick jackets" because they come up too high and don't fit my arms well. We went to Gamestop. Kevin didn't find any games there. "did you know that i am disproportionate?" he asked me.
"Nah."
"Yeah. My legs are really skinny." He pulled his pants tight around his thigh.
"I don't think so. I am disproportionate, though. I have wide hips and like hugenormous thighs."
"Trust me, he said. "you're fine."

We went and sat at the food court. We kind of talked about random stuff. He told me about one of his exes. She flipped him off or something for no reason at all. He says he's not that picky when it comes to girls. I'm really picky with guys. He asked me about the penis thing I texted him about like a month ago. It was on that show, Bizarre foods with Andrew Zimmern. They were in Beijing and at a restaurant that specialized in them. We debated on whether or not to get Starbucks. We ended up not getting any. my parents came to bug us. My mom was being overly nice. I could tell something was up.I got my dad to embarrass my mom by beagle barking at her. Kevin made himself sound awesome in front of my parents by telling them he kept offering to buy me stuff. My mom kept offering him a ride. Then, we left. Outside, I gave him a hug and said by goodbyes. He went and sat on a bench while I ran to my parents.