You're Seldom Known and Barely Missed

Karaoke Stars

"Are you freaking kidding?" Bill asked me. "There's no way I'm getting attacked in a pizza joint on my first date with you. No way. We're lucky no one has figured us out yet. If we sing, we don't have a chance." I raised my eyebrows. He was angry.

We were at some place called Greg's Pizza. They had an offer that whoever won karaoke got their meal for free. "Bill, you know I love karaoke. Plus, I know we'll win, which means we don't have to fight over who pays, or daamage either of our wallets. We can use fake names and everything. It'll be fun!" I said, leaning even closer to him over the small table.

He leaned in a little closer as he whispered "You're such a cheater." and kissed me gently on the lips. I wasn't one for PDA, but I can make exceptions. As we pulled apart he thought for a moment, and made his decision. "Fine. We'll do this your way. But, if someone realizes who we are, I blame you. And, now we have to find a song the machine has that we both know and can sing together."

I frowned as he thought through it practically, knowing that the majority of the songsI knew and loved weren't on there. I shrugged, and pulled him up to the sign-up table. "I'm Ariel Maxwell, and this is my husband, John. Can we see the song list, please?" I said politely. The elderly man smiled at me before jotting down our names and handing us a thin binder. Bill and I moved to the side as we looked through the book. "Black Dog?" he asked, noticing one we both loved. I shook my head. "There is no way I can sing Led Zeppelin." I said with a laugh, and he joined me, no doubt trying to envision what a sad duet that would be. "Michael should be here. They have so much John Mayer..." I said, and we laughed again. Michael couldn't stand John Mayer songs. "Oh! Wait! Look!" I exclaimed, pointing to something good on the list. He smiled and nodded, and we signed up for the song.

The next thing I knew, we were being called up. So far, our only competition was a few clearly drunk people, so we were confident as we took the stage. As the music started, we smiled at each other and began. WE shared a look, and Bill started.

My funny valentine
Sweet comic valentine
You make me smile with my heart
Your looks are laughable
Unphotographable
Yet youre my favourite work of art

Is your figure less than greek
Is your mouth a little weak
When you open it to speak
Are you smart?

I smiled in another brief musical break. He really could sing. It was nice having a boyfriend who was musically talented. He started again, and I joined him the last line, quietly.

But dont change a hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little valentine stay
Each day is valentines day

He smiled at me, and I took the repeat verse with ease. This song seemed perfect for us, though I wasn't sure why. Maybe it was just the moment.

Is your figure less than greek
Is your mouth a little weak
When you open it to speak
Are you smart?

But dont you change one hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little valentine stay
Each day is valentines day

After we sang together on the last line, gentle applause came from some of the audience, and we were eventually announced the winners. We ran out of the restruant like idiots, laughing like crazy. "We won!" I yelled into the night air. He laughed, and pulled me into a tight hug. "We don't have to pay for over-priced pizza!" I yelled again, and we laughed. We made eye contact, and we stopped, leaning into each other. Our lips met gently, before we deepened the kiss. We stood there, making out for some time before some freak running down the street yelled "Get a room!" Bill flipped him off, and we laughed.

"Oh shit! We should get back to the bus! We have to leave for Los Angeles!" I yelled, pulling behind me as I ran. "That's our last show." I heard him whisper in dismay, but had to disregard my want to comfort him. We couldn't be late, or we'd be in deep shit.