You're Seldom Known and Barely Missed

The Beginning of a Beautiful Thing

I saw Bill walking off the stage, and managed to catch up with him. "Since when did you know how to play the guitar? While you were singing?" I asked with a smirk, a hint of both amusement and shock ringing in my voice.

"Since a long time before I met you." he replied, matching me with a crooked smile. I smiled and shook my head, looking down. I looked back up at him, and my smile grew. "Thanks." he said with a shrug as he walked off. I couldn't help yelling after him. "But don't get too cocky! You don't want your head to get too big to fit on the bus!"
~.~.~.~.~
As soon as we got back to our bus I tracked down Valerie. "Hey. Do you think you could help me tune up my guitar skills?" I asked, my face hopeful. I saw her smile and shake her head.

"And, why, exactly would you want to do this?" she asked with a smirk. I stuck out my tongue at her, knowing beyond the shadow of a doubt exactly what she was thinking.

"Because I've got a song to write." I replied simply.
~.~.~.~.~
I sat on my bed, trying my best to mimic Val's finger placement on the fretboard. "Like this?" I asked, a little embarassed that I didn't know more. I had guitars... I just wasn't the best at playing them. I mean, I had an idea, I just wasn't a musical protegy; by any standards.

"Exactly." she said with a smile. "Now, just strum, and move your fingers through all the positions I just taught you."

As I did as she said, I realized that retuning my guitar skills wasn't so difficult after all. Just a little touching up, and everything came running back like a flood. I walked over and hugged her. "Thanks so much." I said. "This means more than you know."

"As long as it doesn't involve impressing Michael, we're good to go." she said laughing as she walked out. "And speaking of Michael, I want watermelon."

"What the crap does that have to do with Michael?" I asked, nearly on the floor with laughter. "It doesn't, really." she replied simply before leaving me to scour the fridge.

I leaned over to get my notebook and a pen, then. I had some lyrical wrting to do before I could put my new skills to work. I hummed a tune with every line, trying to find the right words to vent, and the right tune to accent the mood. I hadn't done this in quite a while. It felt like I was back in High School, writing about love instead of all the other crap in the world.

Songs like the one I was writing had always made me so angry. I almost laughed as I kept going, marking out words and adding others. These were the songs that always made me feel like crap, because I knew just how the person felt, and knew that they were lying when they said it would work out.

However, this time I hoped with all my heart, and prayed every night that it would. Only because I might not make it if it didn't.