We're Going Live

Fifteen

Gerard was right, San Diego was boiling. Although the heat was strong Gerard still insisted on wearing his corduroys, black Maiden shirt and leather jacket. I, on the other had stuck to my shorts and one of Gerard’s old chequered shirts, keeping my sunglasses firmly planted on my face, even though it was later on in the day. I tugged my converse on, tucking my hair behind my ears as I did so.

“Gee you’re going to melt,” I told him when he kneeled behind me on the bed, kissing behind my ear whilst pulling my hair back into a pony tail.

“I won’t,” he said, pecking down my neck towards my throat and up my chin, “I’ll change once we get to the beach,” he grinned, kissing back up my chin, “So you ready?” I nodded and followed him down into the lobby, my brown satchel slung over my shoulder.

We both stayed relatively silent down to the beach, occasionally spotting something of interest to start talking about. The big problem was Gerard trying to get undressed behind one of those dividers, I think he flashed the whole beach about twelve times.

“Well, I have nothing to hide now, I have shown at least two hundred people my private area, so fuck it!” he said, kicking it down again, luckily now dressed in his board shorts. I unbuttoned my own shirt and stepped out of my shorts, getting irritated by the hot beam of sun radiating down on my skin, “You like one of those paper dolls, y’know the ones you make when you’re a kid? And I used to colour in a bikini in felt tip ‘cus I was an extremely dirty little teenage boy that made paper dolls with slutty clothes,” he grinned, hooking his arm round my shoulders as we walked down to the shore, the sand feeling like a boiling blanket beneath my feet.

“That does sound like something you’d do,” I chuckled.

“I know, I was an artistic little sod,” he grinned, playing with the bottom of my tankini, “Aren’t you coming in?” he asked when I dithered at the side, watching as people laid down to sunbathe, “Doll, don’t tell me you’re scared of the water,” he grinned from behind me.

“It’s not the water, I just don’t like the sea, and I hate the thought of all those slimy things getting my toes,” I said, scrunching them up in the sand as Gerard waded out,“ Gerard!” I whined, scratching my hot shoulder.

“Come on in –nothing’s gonna get you!” he grinned, holding out his hand. I took it gingerly and he pulled before bending down, “On the back baby Doll,” he ordered, clasping his hands tightly round my thighs. I was fine on his back, I just didn’t like the thought of something getting at my legs. I clung round his neck, my nose buried in his hair, “Of course I can’t swim properly so we won’t go out too far,” he grinned, kissing me when I looked startled.

“Gee, stop here!” I said, trying to move my legs down.

“No way!” he grinned, clutching my legs to stop me from moving too much, “Dolly, I’m just gonna fall over and then all those slimy slugs are gonna get you-“

“Gerard put me down! Put me down, put me down, put me down!” I ordered, scrabbling around until I was around the front of him, my nose buried in his shoulder.

“Oh no, I can feel them now -all gooey and slimy, there crawling up my legs and I’m going to drop you!” he threatened, leaning forward so I went back against the water

“Gerard you dare!” I told him, pushing my feet down on his hips and trying to clamber up onto his head, “Gerard go back! Go the hell back you big bully!” I ordered, clinging to his head as he tried to step backwards, small giggles emitting from him every two seconds, “Go, go, go!” I demanded, tensing when he dropped me back again, “Gerard!” I yelled. I fell relieved when we tumbled backwards, falling back onto the heated sand.

Gerard lay there cackling, protesting through giggles when I clambered up, my arms still wrapped safely around his head.

“Oh, I could totally get used to this position,” he grinned, using his hand to pull up my tankini.

“Not for long your not,” I muttered, clambering off him, “You’re a big bully, you know that?” I said, brushing the sand off my arms, “Can I have an ice cream?” I asked, kneeling next to him whilst he proceeded to drag himself backwards to sunbathe.

“Sure, bring me back one too,” he said, a grin cracking out onto his face.

“Can you buy me an ice cream?” I re-phrased, scowling when he didn’t reply, “Come on you big girl, stop trying to get a tan,” I said, prodding his arm. Of course he didn’t stir, just pulled up his board shorts so he could do his legs, “Fine I’ll go get myself an ice cream, you can just sit there and toast,” I told him, clambering up and beginning to walk towards one of those small beach houses.

It had white steps leading up to a pine wood bar, two palms trees either side of the row of counters. The decking felt warm under my feet as I made my way towards the bar, ignoring the smarmy looks from old men that had nothing better to do.

I sat down and waited patiently tapping my fingers on the counter when a lady with a bright yellow bikin came and leant the other side of me, smiling glossily.

“Watcha can I get you sweetie?” she asked. I gnawed on my lower lip and glanced up at the menu’s seeing they did different alcoholic smoothie which I suddenly fancied.

“Uhm… Can I have a vanilla smoothie with vodka and chocolate sprinkles?” I asked, suddenly realising I had forgotten to get money, “Can you hold on two seconds, I’ve gotta go some money,” I said, she nodded and smiled, her eyes suddenly moving to some one who was standing behind me.

“Make that two,” Gerard grinned, slapping a few dollar bills on the counter, “Silly Doll forgot the cash?” he grinned, moving me off the bar stool and sitting down himself. I clambered back up on his lap, grimacing at the feeling of his damp lap beneath me, “Couldn’t have you getting funny looks from old guys,” he grinned, kissing my ear.

“Good, I don’t want you looking like some bronzed beach boy anyways,” I murmured childishly, burying my face into his collar bone.

“You don’t? I thought I’d look dope in Westlife! –get my hair cut, a tan and my ear pierced-“

“-Shut up,” I chuckled, wrapping my hand around one of the cold plastic cups. Gerard grinned and did the same, following me towards our bags and towels. I sat down on his lap and drank happily, watching as Gerard texted his mom to ask how Charlie was, apparently he’d been watching Jeepers Creepers avidly, squealing excited at every open moment.

“Oh great, he’s what? Four, five months old and already he’s started watching creepy movies and it wasn’t even my fault. Actually that movie sucks real bad. But still Bubs should not be watching it,” he chuckled, sucking the straw that was poking out of his drink.

“I’m sure he couldn’t understand anything of it,” I laughed, lying back and resting my head on his thigh.

“Hey, look over there, by the water,” Gerard nodded towards where his gaze was set. I knelt up on my elbows and looked at the cliff side, “You see, we can climb up, then right round to the edge –then it dips see? In the cove there –come on,” he said, getting up. I followed in suit, slinging the towels around his neck and the bag over my shoulder.

We walked the length of the beach towards the white foaming edge of the see, right next to the cliff sides.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please, I think loads of people have stopped reading from the last one!