Do It Like That

Desperation

Chevlyn got their in record time; Zoe slightly suspected that she sped and broke a few speed limits. What she had to say must be extremely important... and that terrified Zoe.

Eric didn't have a gun, did he? Because that's where Zoe's mind immediately went. Her gaze flew to Shane, knowing that if Eric went crazy, and shot Shane, she'd never forgive herself. She'd never forgive herself for any of this, actually, because if she hadn't slept with Shane, Eric would have never gone mental and tried to shoot anyone.

As Chevlyn made a beeline for their table, Shane locked his eyes with hers. "Any idea what she wants to tell us?" he asked, and she could tell from his tone that he was nervous, too. His tense jaw and eye twitch also gave it away.

Zoe shrugged her shoulders, but didn't get to verbally respond because Chevlyn slammed down her purse on the table and glared at Shane. "Did you know, you asshole?!" she yelled.

Everybody in the cafe appeared to notice her volume and stared. Zoe fought a blush, but apparently, Chevlyn didn't care about the possible scene she could be causing.

Shane was scared. "What are you talking about?" he responded, not raising his voice, but not speaking quietly, either.

"I want to know!" Chevlyn shouted. "I want to know if you knew that Eric was fucking around!"

One of the customers, a mother of three, apparently, scooted closer and scolded Chevlyn. "Excuse me, but there are children around. If you could cool it on the language-"

"SHUT UP, BITCH," Chevlyn whirled on her. "My best friend's jerkwad of a boyfriend has been cheating on her for AT LEAST a month, and I don't condone that sort of behavior! DO YOU?"

Zoe was stunned. She couldn't breathe. Her windpipe closed up. She gasped for breath.

The words Chevlyn had just said were reverberating throughout her whole brain.

Shane got out of his seat and sat down next to her, putting his arm around her, rubbing her back, trying to help her.

Chevlyn realized she had done that less than tactfully and turned back to Zoe, getting down on her knees in front of her. "I didn't mean to blurt it out like that, sweetie," she soothed, putting her chin on the table in front of Zoe. She grabbed Zoe's hand, rubbing it. "But... it's true. I was talking to Melissa, you know, how she's kind of our friend but not really, and I was just telling her that Eric was probably going to break up with you, blah blah blah, and she asked why. I told her it was because you cheated on him with Shane, and then she told me that she didn't see that as fair, because he had been cheating on YOU with her sister Brenda."

Zoe was speechless. She couldn't blink. She could barely breathe. Her eyes were blurring! Her vision was leaving her...

But it wasn't really. Her vision was blurring because tears were forming. They started falling down her cheeks... and then the sobs came.

And that's how she broke down in Starbucks.