Courage to Continue

Chapter 1:

Minty’s P.O.V:

Sitting through another boring English class, yet again my mind begins to wonder. “Minetta! Pay attention!” yelled the teacher. Why should I? Who cares about essay writing? I looked away from the window and back to the front of the classroom. “Thankyou” he said before going back to write on the board. Ten minutes into the lesson and I’m already bored! I’m not the only one not paying attention either. Two popular girls, Zoe and Amelia, are passing notes and giggling like the pathetic girls they are. Jarred, another popular kid, is chatting up some girl in front of him. She doesn’t look too impressed by it either…And then there’s the cute, interesting guy who sits on my right.
I’ve had a crush on him for years. He’s always drawing things in class. Most of the time he sits facing the other way so I can’t see what he’s drawing but today, he’s facing my way. In the back of his book, he’s drawing a red rose dripping with blood. I carefully tore a piece of paper from my book, making as little noise as possible and wrote ‘I like it’ on it before sliding it across the table to him. I soon found myself looking out the window again. There were dark grey clouds forming everywhere. It’ll probably start raining as soon as school’s over.
I heard the paper slide across the table again. Looking down, I saw that the boy had written ‘Thanks. My name’s Gerard. What’s yours?’ I already knew his name and I thought that he knew mine. Nether the less, I wrote beneath it ‘Minetta’ and slid it across to him. I hated my real name so my friends called me Minty.
I waited for quite a while until finally, he replied ‘Do you want to meet up at lunch?’ wow. That was unexpected. ‘Sure’ I wrote and slid it back. My friends would survive without me for one day. ‘I’ll meet you at you’re locker then’ he wrote and again slid it back. I spent the rest of the lesson staring out the window like before, thinking about Gerard.