Courage to Continue

Chapter 2:

Minty’s P.O.V:

As soon as the lunch bell rang, I headed to my locker. Gerard was already there. “Hi there” I said as I opened it and shoved my books inside, grabbing my lunch.
“Hi Minetta. You weren’t doing anything else, were you?” he asked.
“No. not really” I replied. We walked into the cafeteria and sat down at a table by ourselves. “So…why did you want to talk to me?” I asked.
“You seem like a nice person and I don’t know much about you. You barely speak in any of your classes” he explained. “Why don’t you talk more?”
“I dunno.” I shrugged. “I’m very shy. I find it hard to speak to people that I don’t know.” He smiled at me.
“You don’t know me and yet here we are, talking” he stated.
“I know. But that’s because I sit next to you and you seem really interesting.” He raised one eyebrow.
“How am I interesting?” he asked.
“You just are. You’re different, that’s all” I explained.
“Oh. Well. I suppose I’m a little different. I like drawing and singing. That’s different from most guys” he said, laughing lightly when he finished.
“Cool. I know you can draw but you can sing too!?” He was perfect in every way. I bet he has the voice of an angel.
“Yeah. I’m in a band with four other guys. You might know Ray Toro?” he asked curiously. “He’s in a few of your classes.”
“Oh, yeah. He’s in my chemistry class” I said. He sits by himself all of the time. I feel so sorry for him.
“Uh…we have band practice after school if you wanna come?” he asked shyly, looking at his feet. Oh my god! He just invited me to watch his band!
“Sure. I’m not busy” I said, trying not to get too excited.
“Great! Meet me after school at the front, okay?” His eyes sparkled as he spoke. Was he blushing?
“Yeah, sure. I’d better go find my friends so…I’ll see you then” I said. “Bye.” Like his, my cheeks were beginning to redden.
‘Cya” he said as we got up. I walked over to my small group of friends. Everyone was silent. What did I do?

“Ooh!” said Teegan. Emily nudged her. “So…who was he?” I sighed.
“He’s Gerard. I sit next to him in English. He’s really nice. I’m going to watch his band practice this afternoon’ I told them. Their jaws dropped.
“What!?” Emily was acting so strange. “Minty, you can’t! He’s weird! Everyone knows that!” she yelled. “That’s social suicide! It’s bad enough that you spoke to him in the first place!” What! Gerard’s not weird! He’s just…different.
“What are you talking about? He seems fine to me. What’s so weird about him?” He looks normal in my eyes. He’s got gorgeous hazel eyes, shoulder length black hair and he wears the school uniform – a white shirt, red tie and gray pants. He looks hot! Am I the only one that thinks that?
‘He barely talks to people, besides that other weird dude. I think his name is Ray” she said. “And he hangs around those other losers!”
“So what! I don’t talk to people either usually, besides you guys.” What’s wrong with being a quiet person?
“Stay away from him.” Both of my so-called best friends looked at me. Teegan always agreed with Emily.
“No! Fuck you guys!” I got up and stormed off to my locker. Oh, great. I’ve got chemistry with Emily next!